You are here

Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:05 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I don’t see what the bloody harm is in keeping older machines going? In the very least it keeps them out of the landfill. The second hand Mac market keeps people employed and people with not much budget can still live in Mac land using older software with all it’s limitations. I’ll stop my rant here even though Mail just stopped working on an older machine that up until 2 weeks ago was working fine.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I am 100% with you on this, I have/have had several Macs, all bar one bought used for a fraction of the new price.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:15 pm

I've kept all mine, all laptops. My original G4 still works but is a mass of hardware failures. My 2008 MBP didn't quite enjoy tea as much as I do and so died pretty hard, and I'm still using my 2011 MBP even though that's a mass of hardware failures too and is running on fumes.

The next machine I get will be an M-class one, so I intend to keep this 2011 running (as long as it doesn't melt!) for all the old legacy stuff that won't work on the new machine going forward, and old project back compatibility etc. I plan to streamline that new machine though and it won't have 15 years of legacy stuff on it, which will be a novel experience..! :lol:

There's something to be said for keeping older systems working and available for when they are needed.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:01 am

I'm in a similar boat though I have a couple of dead ones, my first G5 PSU failed, it's replacement no longer boots and I CBA fixing it, I have three Power Macs, a 2006 1.1 and two 2008 3.1s, the former is unreliable and I don't really need to fix it TBH, the 'office 2008' is running but throws up the occasional hardware issue (though I don't really use it as the 2012 MBP is the 'daily driver'). The Studio 2008 is good, I had to replace a memory board last year but other than that it has beed solid. The 2011 MBP has had a memory replacement as one of the slots has a fault so it now has a single 4GB instead of 2 x 2GB but seems to be working fine as my wife's zoom server.

I think I'll buy an M1 powered MBP when they, as is rumoured, reinstate the SD card reader. 512GB of SSD supplemented by 512GB SDHC card. It's hard to justify an Intel powered MBP when the same spec with an M1 processor is only a couple of hundred quid more.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:40 pm

My wife’s 2009 tower no longer can run Mail so I’m looking for an upgrade for her. I can’t believe how cheap the starter M1 is. If it can run photoshop then all is good.
But here is the most interesting conundrum -
I have frequent flyer points, enough to get an M1 or 21 inch iMac from the frequent flyer store. I can’t imagine we will be getting on an airplane for years to use the points, and the flyer program never has the dates you want and has blackout periods.
Getting an M1 means she can’t use her 27 inch Mac monitor and it sounds like the connectivity of the M1 is pretty minimal. I’m about to go do the research. The alternative is something like a 2015 MBP which has all the right connectors but costs around $1500.
What would you do? (Confession - I have a slightly vested interest in this as I’m thinking I can borrow her M1 and have a bit of fun with the latest Logic!)
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:43 pm

You'd be insane to buy a 2015 Intel MBP for that price, with the new ones just around the corner, unless you absolutely need that machine, need it now, and specifically need Intel chips (eg for VM's).

The M1 entry-level machines can power up to 6K displays.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:04 pm

desmond wrote:The M1 entry-level machines can power up to 6K displays.
Wow! That's a lot of screens! ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:26 pm

6k is the resolution I think. I found a post by a Russian guy who has 6 monitors connected to his M1 using external adapters. Not all screens were at highest resolution. (An amusing comment another posted said 6 monitors adds quite a new dimension to adult content)
:silent:
Insane to go for old tech? I’m leaning to agree but there may be some 32 bit progs my wife needs so I’ll have to do more research. Trying the keep the “right, but you forgot you also have to upgrade this too” costs to a minimum.
We are talking Canadian dollars too.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Previous