You are here

iMac Pro and Cubase 11 issue - for information...

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

iMac Pro and Cubase 11 issue - for information...

Postby Dave.P » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:23 pm

Posting this just in case anyone else is having the same issue.

It seems on iMac Pro models with the Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB GPU there is a random graphics hang leading to the system freezing with a beachball for quite a few seconds.
Various reports mention Big Sur as well as Catalina, not sure about this, but the graphics card seems to be the common factor.

From searching the Cubase site it seems to be a known issue and will be addressed in the next maintenance update.
I would guess there is a driver/Metal issue in there somewhere but pleased to have at least found it listed as an issue as it was driving me crazy trying to work out what was going on.

Source thread is this one if you want more info - https://forums.steinberg.net/t/random-b ... ina/587535
Dave.P
Regular

Re: iMac Pro and Cubase 11 issue - for information...

Postby Dave.P » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:59 pm

Just to update this one -
Apple and Steinberg are aware of this and will release an update to the graphics driver in a future security/feature update. If you want to do anything to speed this up I was advised by support that the more people fill in this feedback form the better!
https://www.apple.com/feedback/imac-pro.html
Dave.P
Regular

Postby Dave.P » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:17 pm

Just to close this one off - it seems to be the Radeon Pro which was causing the issue. The latest update from Apple has fixed this for me and I hope for anyone else that has come across this. I noticed there is an update for Windows too to the AMD driver.
Hopefully someone found this of assistance!
Dave.P
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:39 pm

Dave.P wrote:It seems on iMac Pro models with the Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB GPU there is a random graphics hang leading to the system freezing with a beachball for quite a few seconds.
Various reports mention Big Sur as well as Catalina, not sure about this, but the graphics card seems to be the common factor.

I have one of these machines running under Mojave and I've never experienced this (different version of the OS, of course) but I have had a different problem. The machine always appeared to shut down normally but on the next startup one time in two it would say that the shutdown had been forced due to a crash. Didn't seem to have had any impact other than this but it was disquieting. I've recently applied the 10.14.6 update and the problem has gone away, much to my relief.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
International Mercurial Man of Mystery.