You are here

Used UA Arrow

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Used UA Arrow

Postby coreyautobee » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:00 am

Hey y’all,

Thinking of grabbing a used Arrow (pretty affordable!) to check out UA plugins and the unison preamp action.

I do all sorts of stuff re: tracking , mixing, etc.

Anything I should know before buying one secondhand ? I know that the Arrow was ‘updated’ as the Apollo Solo- the arrow seems like the better option IMO as it has no external power supply...

Thanks for any thoughts and help!
coreyautobee
Poster

Re: Used UA Arrow

Postby djangodeadman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 am

You won’t be able to run many plugins on an Arrow.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby Guido3 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:54 am

Hi,

I have an Arrow and it's great. It is powered by TB3 so make sure your Mac is compatible as it has to get it's power this way. There is no work-around.

I also got one to try out the UA world of plug-ins and like it a lot. As it only has a single Shark chip onboard, it runs out of available resource quite quickly. However, there is plenty you can do. I am considering 'upgrading' to an Apollo Twin with Quad core to give me some more grunt!!

The UA plugins are expensive but if you wait, they have good sales 2-3 times a year. The last one has just finished where they were offering up to 70% off most of their catalogue. I bought a couple I had my eye on. They are very clever at teasing you into buying extra plugins. When you buy one, they reset the full demos on your account for everything for 14 days to allow you to try stuff out. They also drop a £10 credit (time restricted) into your account.

I'm not sure if anything changed with the Apollo Solo vs Arrow apart from the silver paint job. I prefer the Space Grey as it matches by Mac.

If you only need a couple of input channels, I don't think you can go wrong with the Arrow. It will be pretty easy to sell it if you ever want to upgrade to an Apollo.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby coreyautobee » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:58 pm

Thanks for the info! :D
coreyautobee
Poster

Postby Guido3 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:43 pm

And so it goes on..................

After your post I logged into my UA account and there was £60 in freebie vouchers waiting for me (£20 Thankyou voucher for buying something in Jan and a bonus £40 January special!!). I have now just spent a further £55 on a nice Neve preamp I had my eyes on!!!

You see, it can prove to be expensive but they do sound nice!!!

**Update ** And there is now another £20 voucher in my account............... :headbang:
Guido3
Frequent Poster
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby drmeerkat » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:22 pm

Well, fair warning. The itch for more power grows quickly. My arrow is now my laptop interface and I got an Apollo x4 for my main interface. It is everything I wanted it to be.... the power for whatever plugins I want and the ability in COVID to stream my daughter and I with an instrument and a vocal mike each for virtual open mic night. Also, plug-in purchasing is like a crack addiction. Be warned! At least it’s safer.
drmeerkat

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:22 am

drmeerkat wrote:Well, fair warning. The itch for more power grows quickly. My arrow is now my laptop interface and I got an Apollo x4 for my main interface. It is everything I wanted it to be.... the power for whatever plugins I want and the ability in COVID to stream my daughter and I with an instrument and a vocal mike each for virtual open mic night. Also, plug-in purchasing is like a crack addiction. Be warned! At least it’s safer.

Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...Resistance is Futile...
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)