You are here

Credit where it's due

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Credit where it's due

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:22 am

My 2019 MBP is currently running my entire setup, which includes three monitors, X32 rack, xTouch, XTouch Extender, Digiface USB, Apogee Quartet and running Steinberg Nuendo 11, and Steinberg Wavelab Pro 10, and all under Catalina, which now works the way it should have from the start.

The laptop is fastened to a Roland Handsonic stand (I wasn't using it) and slung underneath it with long cable ties, are three thunderbolt hubs and a rats nest of cable connections to them.

There is no way to avoid the rats nest because of the very short USBC cables they come hardwired to. But hey! it all works!

Purveyors of hubs should please make their cables at least 1m long to give the users a chance of neat efficient cable runs.

:D
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Credit where it's due

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:43 pm

"Purveyors of hubs should please make their cables at least 1m long to give the users a chance of neat efficient cable runs."

You can buy both 3.0 and 2.0 USB passive extension cables from about 300mm to 'infinity'.
I have shedloads.

Supplied fixed* cables are always 'wrong'. They can't please all...

*I would like to see ALL devices, especially power supplies fitted with mains in AND DC power out sockets. THE most common failure mode for such supplies is the cable at one end or other and you cannot buy replacement connectors for most laptops AFAIK.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Photo would be great?
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,352 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:14 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Photo would be great?

?? Surely everyone here has seen such things?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:16 pm

Would you like a photo of the rats nest? or did you mean the passive extensions? I will check out those locally (lock down restrictions permitting) or try Lazada. Either way it's good news.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:40 pm

I actually was referring to a shot of the studio. :-) I like seeing people's studios.
Forum Admin

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:43 pm

ef37a wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:Photo would be great?

?? Surely everyone here has seen such things?

Dave.

Actually I haven't. It would have to have a female and a male end. (obviously) The only things I've seen like that are converters from usb a to c. The added difficulty here is places don't stock unusual stuff, I'd have to go to Bangkok. Difficult in the present climate.

If they exist here, Lazada will have them Now to figure out what to call them in the search.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:50 pm

Lazada is full of them. Thanks Dave!
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:54 pm

Forum Admin wrote:I actually was referring to a shot of the studio. :-) I like seeing people's studios.

I'd be delighted to show a pic, but I just tried and the system renames the URL into something unintelligable. Can you tell me which pic hosting site is accepted? :) Cheers
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:05 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-M ... B00NH11R3I

You can get them cheaper but that one looks well made and has the bling!
Can you order stuff from Amazon?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:17 pm

ef37a wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Male-Female-Extension-Cable/dp/B00NH11R3I

Dave.

I can, but Lazada delivers local here and I have an account. There are lots on Lazada. I really appreciate that Dave, I can't believe I didn't realise there would be extenders. Well actually I can, - sometimes I'm a prize Klutz.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:22 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I'd be delighted to show a pic, but I just tried and the system renames the URL into something unintelligible. Can you tell me which pic hosting site is accepted? :) Cheers

I believe lots of members use imgur for hosting their images, then use the BBcode IMG button and paste in the URL between the tags in your Forum post.

More info: https://imgur.com - it is free still, but they encourage you to pay and upgrade. Try it? Members might come along and suggest better image hosting free services...
Forum Admin

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:40 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:
ef37a wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Male-Female-Extension-Cable/dp/B00NH11R3I

Dave.

I can, but Lazada delivers local here and I have an account. There are lots on Lazada. I really appreciate that Dave, I can't believe I didn't realise there would be extenders. Well actually I can, - sometimes I'm a prize Klutz.

You are very welcome 'dude'! Don't go mad mind. The absolute maximum for total usb cables is 5mtrs but certain things can get sniffy at anything over 3mtrs, usually audio interfaces. Things like keyboards and mice seem to work over even 10mtrs but much depends on the kit and the quality of the cables.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:57 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:I'd be delighted to show a pic, but I just tried and the system renames the URL into something unintelligible. Can you tell me which pic hosting site is accepted? :) Cheers

I believe lots of members use imgur for hosting their images, then use the BBcode IMG button and paste in the URL between the tags in your Forum post.

More info: https://imgur.com - it is free still, but they encourage you to pay and upgrade. Try it? Members might come along and suggest better image hosting free services...

https://imgur.com/a/Nb3BjU6

https://imgur.com/a/1ZrA4c2
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:59 pm

ef37a wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:

Dave.

You are very welcome 'dude'! Don't go mad mind. The absolute maximum for total usb cables is 5mtrs but certain things can get sniffy at anything over 3mtrs, usually audio interfaces. Things like keyboards and mice seem to work over even 10mtrs but much depends on the kit and the quality of the cables.

Dave.

Gotcha, but 1m is more than enough.Good to know though, I did wonder. Thanks again!
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Next