You are here

Credit where it's due

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Credit where it's due

Postby jjlonbass » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:05 pm

ef37a wrote:"Purveyors of hubs should please make their cables at least 1m long to give the users a chance of neat efficient cable runs."

You can buy both 3.0 and 2.0 USB passive extension cables from about 300mm to 'infinity'.
I have shedloads.

Supplied fixed* cables are always 'wrong'. They can't please all...

*I would like to see ALL devices, especially power supplies fitted with mains in AND DC power out sockets. THE most common failure mode for such supplies is the cable at one end or other and you cannot buy replacement connectors for most laptops AFAIK.

Dave.

The USB 2.0 standard specifies a maximum cable length of 5 metres. For USB 3 the practical limit for reliable operation appears to be 3 metres.
Longer cables may work, but you take your chances.

John
jjlonbass
Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks for sharing. Nice setup - shame the Forum IMG code isn't allowing Imgur images to be shown inline... they must have changed their policy these past years.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,352 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby desmond » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Thanks for sharing. Nice setup - shame the Forum IMG code isn't allowing Imgur images to be shown inline... they must have changed their policy these past years.

Nope - if you link to the imgur "page" showing the image (which is what Howdy did here), that's a different thing to just linking directly to the image in img tags.

imgur still works fine for this (and is how I host my images here).

Howdy's images:

desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:26 pm

So, right-clicking on the Imgur image when on that site and copying the image address will give you this:

https://i.imgur.com/34apyq0.jpeg

Then use the Forum post's Img button and paste it in-between those tags, and you'll see the image just as desmond states. Ta!
Forum Admin

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:01 pm

I wrote it up in a bit more detail here and Mike Stranks has a related video of the process (using his account on Imgur) here :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:06 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I wrote it up in a bit more detail here and Mike Stranks has a related video of the process (using his account on Imgur) here :thumbup:

Thanks Eddy. Had forgotten about those useful guides.
Forum Admin

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:20 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I wrote it up in a bit more detail here and Mike Stranks has a related video of the process (using his account on Imgur) here :thumbup:

Imgur hosts videos? I tried a while ago and it didn't work, what may I have done wrong?

WRT imgur links I use the 'direct link' pasted between the forum generated [img] tabs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:18 pm

Forum Admin wrote:

Thanks Eddy. Had forgotten about those useful guides.

Thanks, mystery solved! :)
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Kwackman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:56 pm

Wow, how many faders do you have in that room?! :shocked:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:09 am

Kwackman wrote:Wow, how many faders do you have in that room?! :shocked:

I set it up so I could mix 48 tracks in a session. So two iZ Radar 24's synced together feeding a Midas Verona. But then I got an x32 rack (no faders) which benefited from an xTouch. I mistakenly bought an xtouch extender which can't seem to work with anything but I'm still trying. So 56 faders on the Midas, 17 more between the x-s and 5 more on the SSL Six. SO 78 hardware faders all told.

As it turns out I rarely use the Radars and Verona setup. The X32 Rack and X-touch is fine for what I doodle about with.

For me this is only a hobby. I never did make any money from it, and never will. I have made some really good recordings though, including a couple of albums worth of music recorded on the most remote island in the world - Kiritimati Island. I recorded lots of local singers, with handed down songs some exceptional, and a whole albums worth of original stuff by an American tourist passing through. I brought with me a couple of digital mics and a Russian ribbon (which gave fabulous results on local vocals) two Neve channels and two SSL channels, an Apogee 8 and a MacBook Pro. I had to teach a fab local singer some Beatles songs (Nobody had heard of the Beatles) and I got him to sing Oh Darling, to a karaoke track, with the chorus in the Kiribati language) It sounded fab! :)
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Kwackman » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:32 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:SO 78 hardware faders all told.
That's an impressive total!
There's probably an Alphatrack salesman sitting somewhere thinking, "Now, there's a challenge"!

Howdy Doody Time wrote:For me this is only a hobby. I never did make any money from it, and never will.
I'm another member of that (probably rather large) club.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby tea for two » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:48 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:. I have made some really good recordings though, including a couple of albums worth of music recorded on the most remote island in the world - Kiritimati Island. I recorded lots of local singers, with handed down songs

I would love to listen to these Kirimati Island songs if you think the island inhabitants would permit us to listen to them.
If the songs are private to the inhabitants then I understand respect their privacy.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:40 am

Nice. Love seeing MIDAS in studios. :)
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:55 pm

tea for two wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:. I have made some really good recordings though, including a couple of albums worth of music recorded on the most remote island in the world - Kiritimati Island. I recorded lots of local singers, with handed down songs

I would love to listen to these Kirimati Island songs if you think the island inhabitants would permit us to listen to them.
If the songs are private to the inhabitants then I understand respect their privacy.

I'm sure it would be OK (I married one of them, and she will check) let me see what I can collect together for Youtube posting.

https://i.imgur.com/kMupbIdl.jpg
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:26 pm

tea for two wrote:I would love to listen to these Kirimati Island songs if you think the island inhabitants would permit us to listen to them.

Likewise. I also would very much like to hear them.

Here's a depressing comment from Wikipedia about the island (Kirimati is part of the Kiribati Islands): Kiribati is expected to be the first country to lose all its land territory to climate change. In June 2008, the Kiribati President Anote Tong said that the country had reached "the point of no return." He added, "To plan for the day when you no longer have a country is indeed painful but I think we have to do that."

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
International Mercurial Man of Mystery.

PreviousNext