You are here

VST wrapper/host and automation

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

VST wrapper/host and automation

Postby in.name.only » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 pm

Hi all, newbie here

While not using my Mac or Logic I was on another DAW that works with VST instruments and fell in love with a particular synth that is only available on VST.

Basically I want to get this synth on my Mac and use in logic. I'm aware of these things called wrappers and wondered if I could use one of these to use the synth in Logic. I'd also need to automate various parameters - its a deal breaker, the synth wont be any use to me if I can't automate. Does anyone have experience of this or can point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
in.name.only
Poster

Re: VST wrapper/host and automation

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:04 pm

You can do this with eg Blue Cat's Patchwork. After loading the VST instrument within Patchwork (running as an AU in Logic), there's an option to map some or all of the plugin's parameters to Patchwork's exposed automation parameters, so you can automate them as expected.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

I'm sure other wrappers/hosts do something similar.

(The plugin will of course need to be a Mac VST, not a PC VST plugin.)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: VST wrapper/host and automation

Postby in.name.only » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:36 pm

Ah! Thanks for your reply Desmond. In fact I didn’t realise there was a difference between a Mac and a Windows VST. Turns out this synth will only ever work on Windows. Thanks again anyway
in.name.only
Poster