You are here

External hard drive for sample libraries and projects?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

External hard drive for sample libraries and projects?

Postby dazzathedrummer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:16 am

Hi,

I'm looking for recomendations for an external drive for my MacBook Pro.
It's a 2014 model but it works absolutely fine, the only trouble I have is that I keep running low on space on the internal 250gb SSD and I'm stuck in a cycle of removing chunks of Logic/Ableton sounds and/or projects and then having to restore them when needed.

Ideally, I'd like to have all the sample libraries on an external drive plus any 'current' projects. I'll most likely keep the current 'current' project on the SSD while it's being worked on.

Once projects are finished I tend to archive them on a 3TB network drive that syncs to Crashplan.

The Macbook has USB and Thunderbolt and I'm looking to spend around £150.
dazzathedrummer
Regular
DazzatheDrummer

Re: External hard drive for sample libraries and projects?

Postby Humf » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:42 am

I love my new Samsung T7 (non touch). It’s 2TB and cost about £250 but they do a 1TB version for £140.

Samsung T7 Portable SSD - 2 TB - USB 3.2 Gen.2 External SSD Titanium Grey (MU-PC2T0T/WW) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087DFFJRD/ ... UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humf
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:34 am

The most economical way is to buy a laptop HDD and a caddy. I have several of these https://www.scan.co.uk/products/xclio-usb3-hd25s-bc-usb30-external-enclosure-for-25-sata-hdd-ssd-5gbps-black with various hard drives or SSDs. Convenient for sticking an old drive in pro-temp to see what's on it too :blush: Your 2014 MBP has USB3 so the a fastish HDD or an SSD it should be fast enough for your needs. Buy a second (and third) one to back everything up on a regular basis (I'm speaking from hard experience here :oops: )

Cost for a 1TB backup drive using that caddy or similar and one of these drives https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-seagate-st1000lm048-barracuda-25-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-5400rpm-128mb-cache-56ms-ncq-512e-oem is about £46. Worth a try to see if it's fast enough to run you VSTi library then buy another with an SSD if it isn't (a 500GB SSD costs slightly more than a 1TB HDD).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Luke W » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:20 am

Humf wrote:I love my new Samsung T7 (non touch). It’s 2TB and cost about £250 but they do a 1TB version for £140.

I've just got a T7 to use as an audio drive, I haven't actually tried it out yet but it was a decent price.

For sample libraries I wouldn't bother with a HDD at all if you can help it these days, I'm still running some from a 7200 RPM drive at the moment but load times aren't exactly snappy by today's standards, and if you're getting into large track counts or heavy going libraries then it doesn't take long for the disk to get maxed out.

I'm in the middle of upgrading my storage setup myself, in fact I've got another SSD arriving today to take over as a sample/VI drive, and the two larger HDDs that have been my main working drives will be getting reassigned to archive/backup duties.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Humf » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Buy a second (and third) one to back everything up on a regular basis (I'm speaking from hard experience here :oops: )

Yup. Good point. I’m just about managing 3 places these days after losing quite a bit of work at the end of last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humf
Regular

Postby Guido3 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:50 pm

I have a Samsung T5 (1TB) which I got for just over £100 in a Black Friday sale. I works perfectly for me. I have all my Spitfire Audio sample libraries on it and it's really snappy. It's USB C as well so as a Mac user it integrates perfectly with my 2016 MBP.

I'd buy another in a heart beat.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby dazzathedrummer » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:43 am

Sounds like the Samsung is the way to go then.

Thanks guys!
dazzathedrummer
Regular
DazzatheDrummer

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:37 am

I've just bought one of these to live with my new MBP, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078STRHBX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it's tiny and light (would fit in Swan Vestas box) USB3/USB3 and #1 son says it's stupidly fast...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:59 pm

I am not remotely in this class of musos but I have an external USB 1TB drive but for convenience with this Lenovo I have fitted a 64G SD card and so can easily dump files without hunting up and connecting the USB storage.
Once in a while I zap stuff off the card and format it. Would be handy for 'field' use?

I of course have NO idea if macs accept cards? Apple tend to plough a different furrow!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:25 pm

MacBook Pro up to 2015 had an SD Card slot but not anything newer.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:10 pm

I have four Samsung T5s and have never had a problem with them, highly recommended.

I also got a Crucial X8 recently because it was meant to be twice as fast as the T5s but is only around 10% faster. I only got it because the T7s were so expensive but their price seems to have halved since then.

My next one will be a Samsung!
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:22 am

BobTheDog wrote:I also got a Crucial X8 recently because it was meant to be twice as fast as the T5s but is only around 10% faster. I only got it because the T7s were so expensive but their price seems to have halved since then.

What connection are you using? It may be the port you are connected to that's limiting the speed rather than the drive itself. I've just upgraded my external working drives to SSDs and I know that's the case there.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:52 pm

I try to buy 2 drives every time I need just one so I can have a clone ready to plug in should there ever be a problem
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:33 pm

Luke W wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:I also got a Crucial X8 recently because it was meant to be twice as fast as the T5s but is only around 10% faster. I only got it because the T7s were so expensive but their price seems to have halved since then.

What connection are you using? It may be the port you are connected to that's limiting the speed rather than the drive itself. I've just upgraded my external working drives to SSDs and I know that's the case there.

It’s an apple M1 mini so usb 4/3.2 so should be able to hit the 1050 advertised, black magic has it at 600 though.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:18 pm

Ah, that is quite odd.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Next