You are here

Dual stream setup with 2 mics

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dual stream setup with 2 mics

Postby BeardoGames » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:37 am

Wow. I dont know how or why. But it actually worked.
I put in a jack to minijack in the right channel for the control room the minijack in the input of the iMac. Then I panned my channel to hard left. And mrs b's mic central and boom. She got input on the imac.

We had a stream this evening and everything worked like a charm. I really want to thank you guys.
I could still do a rundown. But my knowledge of audio is like bare minimum. I have to say i thought it be easier and cheaper. But its all working like i want it to.

Thanks!
BeardoGames
New here

Postby zenguitar » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:43 am

Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Glad you got it working.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:41 am

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Likewise, thanks for the feedback...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:42 pm

:thumbup: Good stuff and good luck with your projects.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:03 pm

This old brain is a bit boggled here but just one caveat?

The word "panned" is being bandied. Do not assume a USB mixer sends a panned signal to the PC.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:20 pm

I was assuming a single stereo single via USB. But if you only have two sources and they're panned hard left and right respectively...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:41 pm

blinddrew wrote:I was assuming a single stereo single via USB. But if you only have two sources and they're panned hard left and right respectively...

Yes, as I said, this old fool is not really with it but e.g. on son's 8FX Soundcraft mixer you cannot pan a solo guitar to record centrally although of course it pans correctly in the Main Outs.

Likewise EQ has no effect on the USB feed.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:45 pm

ef37a wrote:This old brain is a bit boggled here but just one caveat?

The word "panned" is being bandied. Do not assume a USB mixer sends a panned signal to the PC.

Dave.

I may be misunderstanding but I'm pretty sure it'll send a stereo mix, if the OP sends L to one computer over USB and R to the other over a wire (panning the mix left and Mrs B's mic central so it goes to both computers) he'll have is desk mix in the left channel only on the USB fed computer. Not much point in having a 'stereo USB' connection otherwise?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
ef37a wrote:This old brain is a bit boggled here but just one caveat?

Dave.

I may be misunderstanding but I'm pretty sure it'll send a stereo mix, if the OP sends L to one computer over USB and R to the other over a wire (panning the mix left and Mrs B's mic central so it goes to both computers) he'll have is desk mix in the left channel only on the USB fed computer. Not much point in having a 'stereo USB' connection otherwise?

I may have only a very tenuous grasp as well Sam but I am pretty sure ONE mic into a mixer will result in one channel via USB regardless of the position of the pan pot. USB MICROPHONES on the other hand record 'double mono' i.e. a phantom centre sound.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:38 pm

The OP's xenyx Q1202USB manual says "Connect your mixer to your computer using a standard USB cable. This enables a stereo signal to be sent to and from your mixer and computer. The signal sent from the mixer to the computer is the same as the main bus" so surely that will be with pans in place?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:52 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The OP's xenyx Q1202USB manual says "Connect your mixer to your computer using a standard USB cable. This enables a stereo signal to be sent to and from your mixer and computer. The signal sent from the mixer to the computer is the same as the main bus" so surely that will be with pans in place?

Yes, you would think so but I know our Soundcraft was not routed that way. Maybe the Behringer is? I shall try to find a signal block diagram for the 1202 USB but I fear they don't publish them anymore.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:03 pm

No block diagram in the manual but it does say clearly that the signal to the computer is stereo and the same as the main bus. FWIW I'm sure my XR12 does similar and also my X32's top panel stereo USB recording output. Will check later.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:03 pm

I used to have a 1202usb and that is how it works.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:28 pm

blinddrew wrote:I used to have a 1202usb and that is how it works.

Let me get this straight Drew. You can plug one mic into the 1202 and pan it left, right or anywhere in between using the USB feed?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:37 pm

I don't have it anymore to check but yes, whatever is going to the master goes to the usb.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext