You are here

Lost settings for automap-wrapped plugs?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Lost settings for automap-wrapped plugs?

Postby nhirst » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:14 pm

Hola,

I've recently updated MacBook to Catalina and therefore lost Novation Automap. Prior to this I tended to use the automap-wrapped versions of plugs as a matter of course.

One thing I hadn't figured before I made the switch was that none of my automap-wrapped plugins would load. Which means I seem to have lost all my plugin settings that were stored with Logic sessions - things like BFD drum kits and Arturia synth settings.

Obviously I still have the non-wrapped versions of the plugins but I'm trying to figure out if there's anyway to port across the plugin settings from the automap-wrapped instances?

I had to do a fresh OS install + reinstall of all plugins but have everything manually backed up, including preferences etc.

Thanks in faint hope.

N
nhirst
Regular
REVERE Bearpark

Re: Lost settings for automap-wrapped plugs?

Postby desmond » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:38 pm

Automap was a horrible kludge and yes, you will have these kinds of problems without Automap because you were effectively using completely different, modified automapped plugins rather than the proper versions.

Presumably you backed up your old system before doing a major system upgrade in the event of just these kind of unexpected issues, so I'd boot back to that, and migrate your settings by saving out patches/presets etc which you can then load into the new system - very tedious, but that's Automap for you.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby nhirst » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:58 pm

Sadly I can’t reboot to previous state - was having all kids of time machine and os issues which was why I had to update to Catalina (without really wanting to). Whole system drive backed up manually using target disk mode so I have things like preferences / presets files.
nhirst
Regular
REVERE Bearpark

Postby nhirst » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:00 pm

I guess I could manually install 10.14, plus logic and all plugins and do it that way. But frankly having spend several days sorting Catalina I’m loath to if there is a hack.
nhirst
Regular
REVERE Bearpark

Postby desmond » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:35 pm

You won't be able to convert settings between them because as far as the OS and Logic goes, the plugin, and the automapped version of the plugin are two different plugins, they have different identifiers.

I don't think there's anything you can do short of having a working old system with the automapped plugins installed that you can manually transfer settings over from. Maybe google around for other automap users as you'll be far from the first person facing this - maybe someone's found a neat hack or something...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby nhirst » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:56 pm

Is what I feared. Thanks for your help sir.
nhirst
Regular
REVERE Bearpark