You are here

REX or Rx2 files to Apple Loops

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

REX or Rx2 files to Apple Loops

Postby peredur » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:15 am

Hi all, very long time lurker coming up for air. I have some loops in Rx2 file format that I would like to use. Old Logic was happy to see them and even morph them into apple loops apparently. Sadly it no longer will. Is anyone running an older Logic who do this for some crisp and folding? Or Audiofinder software will do it in a batch but my brain just got fuzzy as I realaised it was beyond me. Can anyone help?
TIA.
peredur
Poster
Double Bass - an airfix kit waiting to happen

Re: REX or Rx2 files to Apple Loops

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:33 am

I just dragged an rx2 loop into Logic's arrange page, it loaded fine, follows tempo, etc. I can use them fine.

I'm on Logic 10.5.1, which is the latest version of Logic I can run.

The new Sampler versions, unlike the old EXS24, can't import Recycle files and extract MIDI etc, but you can do the same thing by dragging in the recycle loop into the arrange page, and then drag that to the track header to map it into Quick Sampler, then Copy MIDIfile (QS menu option) and paste it to the instrument track, which actually isn't much of a different amount of effort to how you'd do it in the EXS24.

So I can't tell from your post what you are trying to do, what version of Logic you are running, what OS you are on, so it's difficult to give any specific advice as to what to do. Maybe you're on Catalina, which kills old 32-bit libraries, - what happened when you tried to drag them to the arrange page?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby peredur » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 am

You would imagine that lurking for long enough would make me aware that asking a question without giving the full info would make me look a bit foolish! Ho-hum.

I am running Logic 10.6.1 in Big Sur 11.2.2 and trying to load a .rx2 file (from 2006 - proper Old Skool :) ) into it.

I drag and drop the file into the arrange page and it just bounces back to the finder window. I have tried importing it but whatever option I choose, the files in question are just greyed out and not available to be grabbed.

I am aware that there are worse problems in the world at the moment. However, the piece I am working on has decided that it wants to be at 63bpm and it would be nice to use these files because they bring just what is needed for me to achieve world domination.

peredur
Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:39 pm

It’s likely it’s because Catalina onwards loses support for old 32-bit frameworks, which is what the Recycle library is.

If you have access to an old system, or run it in a VM, you could drop all your Rex files into Logic, save that project, then load it in Logic on your regular system.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby peredur » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 pm

The non REX loops from the same library can just be time-stretched by grabbing the bottom right-hand corner and hitting the option button before dragging to the desired length. Imagine not knowing that! Crisis over. Thanks for humouring me.

Just so that I can actually contribute something, I am successfully running two 27" monitors at 1080p with an M1 MBP in Clamshell mode using a Plugable 4K Docking Station. The picture is fine and dandy. There was an earthing rustle type thing going on, but I re-set my office desk with the audio kit on the left and the Video Splitter on the right and now it is all good. On reflection, the rustling would probably go away with an all balanced set of leads, but my hi-fi amp would not take that
peredur
Poster