You are here

Unwanted Update in Progress

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Unwanted Update in Progress

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:42 am

I diligently, I may say Valiantly, refused every daily threat to update my old High Sierra iMac, by choosing ask again tomorrow, when the incessant question is asked again on startup.

Last night a lot of popups popped up just before bedtime, and I closed them all a little rapidly I think. One of them must have been the dreaded Update request/threat because this morning it says Update in Progress 48 minutes left.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Unwanted Update in Progress

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 am

As long as you have backup clones of your system drive, you're always covered if something catastrophic should happen to your system.

Failing that, Time Machine should also let you restore, though I don't personally use it, so ymmv.

I'm sure you can google a way to turn update reminders off, too, to avoid this happening in the future.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:16 pm

desmond wrote:As long as you have backup clones of your system drive, you're always covered if something catastrophic should happen to your system.

Failing that, Time Machine should also let you restore, though I don't personally use it, so ymmv.

I'm sure you can google a way to turn update reminders off, too, to avoid this happening in the future.

Well I was pleasantly surprised! The updates were beneficial, the old iMac seems smoother and faster, and best of all it didn't install Catalina, which was my main worry, too many trusty old VSTs to lose, It's mid 2011 so probably too old for Catalina I'm happy to say.

As for googling how to's That never works for me, I just tried again this evening with a question, and the answer, as usual, led me down a path which contained menu's and lists that simply did not reflect what was on my screen. OSX has had many changes, clearly, since Mid 2011. So alls well that ends well, and thanks for your reply.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:37 pm

It updated to Mojave?

Or was it just security updates for HS or something?

Anyway, glad nothing bad happened! (For once!) :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:28 pm

desmond wrote:It updated to Mojave?

Or was it just security updates for HS or something?

Anyway, glad nothing bad happened! (For once!) :thumbup:

It's still High Sierra 10.13.6 but there are a further two updates now I see. I'm emboldened to let them install since no harm came from last time. Odd things happen when my PC (which I use dedicated to x32 rack control since it is touch sensitive) updates, - most annoyingly x32 edit, and M32 edit, but that's a different forum.

I just found the list of Mac updates they are security updates for iMovie, iTunes, Safari and iTunes Device Support. It even tells me what will be updated in the next update. Impressive.

By the way, I'm not annoyed at buying the 2019 i9 MBP anymore. Yes it's a pill, but the fact is any Mac I'd have bought instead would have been short lived anyway. Yesterday in Bangkok lots of browsers were fingering the Intel Macs seemingly oblivious to the upcoming change. All the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models on display were still Intel!
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 pm

Ah, yes it was just security updates, not an OS update.

These are almost certainly completely unlikely to change or break any of your software, you can usually do these safely enough and not only are they not to be worried about, they are usually recommended. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:06 pm

Just did the latest security upgrade for Mojave and this fixed two long running problems on my machine. How about that, then?

The first was my machine would shutdown normally but on startup perhaps 60% of the time it would say shutdown was forced because of a problem. This has now stopped. The second was one time in three the computer and my Apollo 8 failed to make contact and I had to turn the Apollo off and on again to get them working together. That behaviour also has stopped. I reckon that since neither of these were reported as fixed bugs something in the heart of the OS had got corrupted but the update replaced it with uncorrupted files. So thank you, Apple.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:42 pm

I bought a 2011 Mac mini on ebay just to replace my rapidly becoming obsolete Apple TV (Youtube stops being available about now). It came with Catalina installed (but no recovery partition) and that has caused problems with both the additional apps I've installed, iMovie which crashed every time I tried to open a new project, and Brave Browser which crashed most times I ran it. The computer can't run Catalina which is, I assume, the reason for the problems.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:45 pm

You bought a computer that can't run Catalina that came with Catalina?

How does that work? :headbang:

If it's a patched Catalina to work on a non-Metal supporting Mac, then yes, you will get crashes when stuff ties to use Metal it assumes to be there, as all machines that support Catalina support Metal.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:46 pm

desmond wrote:You bought a computer that can't run Catalina that came with Catalina?

How does that work? :headbang:

If it's a patched Catalina to work on a non-Metal supporting Mac, then yes, you will get crashes when stuff ties to use Metal it assumes to be there, as all machines that support Catalina support Metal.

Yes I did, The debate is whether to return it which would involve erasing the SSD, OS and all...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:11 am

desmond wrote:Ah, yes it was just security updates, not an OS update.

These are almost certainly completely unlikely to change or break any of your software, you can usually do these safely enough and not only are they not to be worried about, they are usually recommended. :thumbup:

Desmond, I have a MBAir Mid 2013 running Mojave 10.14.6 and an MBP Early 2015 running Hight Sierra 10.13.6. Both asking to be updated (which I have hitherto ignored)

Would either of these update to a later OS? and would it be the feared Catalina? or would it be the friendly security updates only?
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:59 am

I presume what you mean is System Preferences / Software Update which will currently be showing the OS upgrade, whatever that is. If there are other security updates available for Mojave (and I expect there would be because the one I described above only came out a few weeks ago) then these will show as "another update is available. More info". If you click on More info then it opens a window that, well, gives you more info but it also lets you do that update only without triggering the full OS upgrade.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:46 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I presume what you mean is System Preferences / Software Update which will currently be showing the OS upgrade, whatever that is. If there are other security updates available for Mojave (and I expect there would be because the one I described above only came out a few weeks ago) then these will show as "another update is available. More info". If you click on More info then it opens a window that, well, gives you more info but it also lets you do that update only without triggering the full OS upgrade.

CC

Super stuff! It turns out my thin MBAir (Mojave 10.14.5, 2016) can update to Big Sur 11.2.2 which I will do once I have made a time machine backup, which I will do when I find my usbC hub. I just want to try out Big Sur as long as I can re-instate the Mojave if it all goes horribly wrong. After that It gives a second option of a later Mojave version instead. Clever Innit! Dju know I've never bothered with anything other than clicking app icons in OSX, which is odd because when I used only Windows I was always inside the OS fiddling about.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:53 pm

Aye, with Windows you had to :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:25 pm

I'm in the thick of it now (Big Sur installation) It said I needed 12.9 Gb and I had 35 Gb so I proceeded. When the download was complete I started the installation process, and I chose the resident hard disk of course. It then said insufficient disk space - a further 12.9 Gb required! So now I'm installing it on an external SSD and it says Theres no GUID partition on this disk, So a Google Session reveals how to do that because the explanation on the installation screen about about how to do it is woefully incomplete, unless you are Sheldon Cooper, or Desmond. So I'm hoping it will install on the external SSD and I can choose to boot it or boot Mojave. I can't delete anything on the thin MBAir because it contains exactly what I need and no more (It's part of the grab bag if I get called out suddenly anywhere in the APAC region) But a separate boot disk is an attractive option. 18 minutes to go...
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Next