You are here

Unwanted Update in Progress

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Unwanted Update in Progress

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:08 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I have a theory that most Mac users are geeks (I don't use the term derogatively) and enjoy this stuff as much as they enjoy using the apps. This makes for a user base that is OK with problems because they derive satisfaction from solving them. The web is packed with corroborative evidence for this theory, which is where I found my solution. Who amongst the non geek user base would have known about, understood, or even would have had enough savvy to know enough about the nature of the problem to have searched for the answer?
Wasn't this what they used to say about Windows users?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:27 am

Words and oral (aural) extraction :D

That's exactly what I thought, I have spent much (much) less time computer geeking since I moved from Windows to MacOS (so much so that I even have the occasional unnecessary geek out just for fun).

Either way "the geeks shall inherit the Earth" (but also "beware of geeks bearing gifs") :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Words and oral (aural) extraction :D

That's exactly what I thought, I have spent much (much) less time computer geeking since I moved from Windows to MacOS (so much so that I even have the occasional unnecessary geek out just for fun).

Either way "the geeks shall inherit the Earth" (but also "beware of geeks bearing gifs") :D

It's been a while since I frequented academic research labs where Macs and Geekery abounded. I later ran into research groups from US Universities in remote places where everyone had a Mac Laptop, and the talk was often about terminal syntax. But lately I've dabbled with operating system changes and problems (unwillingly) and so have browsed the web for answers.

It depends on your exposure I guess as to what your take on Geek Level v Brand is but I'd say in the beginning PC's were orders of magnitude more inviting and accessible to geekery because Macs were (and largely are still) closed systems. Notice they are preventing booting from USB with the latest OS's starting with Big Sur.

Needs must 'though and a cursory glance on this forum let alone the Web shows Macca's have had to prize open OSX to get at problems that should not have escaped the factory. Desmond doesn't like Time Machine, and I can certainly see why. Following the instructions to the letter led to starting again, and losing all original content.

Let's not pretend Macs or Pc's are perfect. They aren't. Degrees of imperfection are meaningless, levels of dabblers as a consequence, - slightly more interesting.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby s_e_a_n » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:38 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:For anyone finding this problem after upgrading to Big Sur try:

diskutil eraseVolume APFS Blank /dev/disk1s1

211.54 GB Free!!!

Voila!

But why does it have to be up to the customer to find this out?

I have a theory that most Mac users are geeks (I don't use the term derogatively) and enjoy this stuff as much as they enjoy using the apps. This makes for a user base that is OK with problems because they derive satisfaction from solving them. The web is packed with corroborative evidence for this theory, which is where I found my solution. Who amongst the non geek user base would have known about, understood, or even would have had enough savvy to know enough about the nature of the problem to have searched for the answer?

I have a theory that microsoft infiltrated apple when Steve Jobs died and have been working to turn both iOS and Macos into Windows 95.
s_e_a_n
Regular
Programmer, sound engineer, artist, musician

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:54 pm

Actually that might be a good thing :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:52 pm

... but only for very small values of good.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.

Previous