You are here

External SSD not allowing iMac to wake?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: External SSD not allowing iMac to wake?

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:59 pm

Fingers crossed :)
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:41 am

BobTheDog wrote:Fingers crossed :)

As an update to this, I contacted Samsung just to see the correct way of using and why this SSD didn't seem to be recognised on each boot up of the iMac.

Their response :

''The SSDs are actually not intended to be connected to a system 24/7. This is possible and is not a problem for the SSDs, only you will have to disconnect and reconnect the SSD before use so that the SSD is recognized again.''

So even though my standard USB 2 7200rpm drives that are permanently connected and always show on the desktop ready to use, the SSD needs unplugging and re-plugging each new session and reboot?

Maybe that's normal for External SSD's connected, as Samsung say themselves?
james090
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:29 pm

I think you may have been talking to a Samsung numptie there as that sounds like total rubbish!

I have one T3 and three T5s attached constantly and they just work.

I do have the Samsung daemon running though which looks like it mounts the drive on login/wake so if you are getting problems I would install the software.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:51 pm

BobTheDog wrote:I think you may have been talking to a Samsung numptie there as that sounds like total rubbish!

Yes I agree Bob, you can't trust anyone now, even if they work for Tech Support and give you the info!

So even though they said its not the Samsung software needed, I think I will go for it and install.

Just to clarify, this is the link you gave in a previous post, and I need to install this on the actual drive? or just on the Mac HD so its recognised by the Mac as an external device?
james090
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:35 pm

It’s worth a try installing the software, it will install to your system drive.

If it doesn’t fix the issue I would return the T7 and get something different!
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Previous