You are here

New M1 iMac shipping with 256GB storage as standard!!!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New M1 iMac shipping with 256GB storage as standard!!!

Postby Murray B » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 pm

I've just bought an M1 MacBook Air with 16gb memory and 256GB Hard drive - I didn't want to pay lots of extra cash for a bigger hard drive. I'm expecting that there will be super fast USB 4 1TB memory sticks I can shove in the side of it or in a hub coming soon so the internal storage shouldn't be an issue over the life of the machine and I already have some USB 3 external hard drives that will see me through to when they come on stream.

All documents / photos / old projects etc go on the cloud these days so the hard drive will be a working area for me rather than a permanent storage space.

Having said all of the above if it shipped with 1TB as standard for the same money - I wouldn't be complaining :-)
Murray B
Regular

Postby RichardT » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:09 pm

I need to move my music machine around, so having everything on an internal drive of 2TB would be a great thing for me. Horses for courses....

Apple’s markups on additional storage and memory are large, indeed, but having used both Windows and Apple machines for many years, I’ll probably stick with Apple for the next machine and fork out for the storage I need, irritating though the cost is.

I hope that the repairability index France has introduced will be extended to other countries over the next years - it’s a great idea.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Fruity colours for loony tunes Re: New M1 iMac

Postby tea for two » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:09 am

I must say when I want to make chirpy loony tunes I put on a multicolour skin on my macbook keyboard
I bring out my yellow and blue midi keyboard
And I wear a silly hat not that I need a hat to be silly :beamup:

So yeah I'm up for orange or yellow one of these.

I just hope there is a backup mini battery built in for the inevitable yanking magsafe cable out.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:34 pm

BobTheDog wrote:I like Desmonds opinions, no hyperbole and fact based.

Adding my +1 to this. Desmond has been of solid help to many of us for many years. He uses mostly Apple kit, as I do, but he hasn't drunk the Kool-Aid. I don't always agree with his opinions but they're always worth listening to and considering them. Arrogance I've not particularly noticed. Firmness of viewpoint, yes, but that shouldn't be a problem in normal discussion, IMHO.

Doody, you've had more than you're fair share of problems with Apple kit and you have my sympathy. There's stuff about Apple kit I don't like. But I stick with it because for me the balance still tilts their way. If it doesn't for you then change to something else, and I hope that if you do you get the sort of help Desmond has been giving on this forum for a long time.

RichardT wrote:I hope that the repairability index France has introduced will be extended to other countries over the next years - it’s a great idea.

:thumbup:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.

Postby CS70 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:49 pm

If I may, can we avoid this kind of "person-related" posts altogether?

I believe is not the point at all of the forum and it always ends up with follow-up posts by others either digging in, or defending the individual persons/nick. The whole feels very primary school, gets old quickly and frankly it's starting to give me pause on whether or not keeping on participating.

It's unpleasant, and unnecessary. I guess lockdown grumpiness can be partly to blame, but nevertheless.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:03 am

I apologise to Desmond and to others who feel I have been unfair. I have spent a lot of money on Mac products and years ago I would always be happy with them. In many ways I still am happy with them by and large.

But in the last few years I have genuinely felt there has been a dip in quality, and to say so on any forum should not be a cardinal sin. It's literally decades since I bought a general purpose Windows machine, so the same may be said of those - I don't know.

I have bought dedicated recording equipment that runs Windows but there is no comparison with home computers.

When someone argues that 256GB internal storage is stingy, seriously - there really is no arguing with that. I've got cheap SSDs and even pen drives that rival that amount of storage. Sure you can add more yourself (externally) but you'll also be adding Hubs and Docking stations, and longer cables because slimline elegance precludes the possibility of including standard ports. Yes I can hear the counter arguments that progress means moving on, but often with Apple the moving on is so you have to buy their accessories and cables.

Desmond does help a lot of people and has helped me in the past, but despite his protestations he is biased (so what?) and overly protective of Macs which does influence the less well informed forum readers. What's wrong with an alternative voice or two in the name of balance?

Again, if I have over stepped the mark, I apologise, but I have been bitten by shoddy Mac products, stuff that fails a week after the warranty, batteries that swell up and buckle your Mac case and get replaced for free only to swell up again, this time no free replacement, and lastly a new MBP that falls a long way short of acceptable. So my experience has not positively shaped my opinion, unlike others who have been more fortunate.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

TV shows Re: New M1 iMac

Postby tea for two » Wed May 05, 2021 8:37 am

Anyone remember coloured iMac g3 on TV shows as Friends* prominently displayed.

Same with these current coloured imacs : they are meant as decorative furnishings trendy objects in home and office.

*Note I've never watched a whole episode of Friends. I just didn't get the humour on the whole. Even though my American comedy heroes are Abbott n Costello, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Dean Martin, Don Rickles, Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Betty White, Leslie Nielsen, 80sEddieMurphy, Adam Sandler, Jack Black, Dave Chapelle along with M*A*S*H tv series.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 06, 2021 8:55 pm

Apple are good at product placement. Anybody else notice the Apple chime whenever Wall-e rebooted?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.

Previous