You are here

iMac Starting problem and life expectansy of harddrives.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

iMac Starting problem and life expectansy of harddrives.

Postby mountain lion » Mon May 03, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi

I was Having problems with my imac taking too long to start so i was wondering what could be causing this?
It’s like it got stuck sometimes. The Apple support couldn’t help me with this question. They opened the computer in recovery mode and saw the harddrive was ok so they reinstalled the operating system.

I Also read somewhere that the life expectancy of harddrives is 5 years. My computer is an imac late 2015 so both the internal ssd and the external drive are more than 5 years Old.
Should i be expecting them to Crash?

Thank you
mountain lion
Regular

Re: iMac Starting problem and life expectansy of harddrives.

Postby merlyn » Mon May 03, 2021 3:59 pm

If you have everything backed up then a hard drive failing is not an absolute disaster. A bit of a hassle but you won't lose anything.

For SSDs the lifespan is measured in TeraBytes Written which you will see as TBW in specs. SSDs have a large but limited number of writes.

For a spinning hard drive giving a lifespan in years is a rough approximation arrived at by making assumptions about how long it has been on, how much activity it has seen, how many times it has been powered cycled ...

At five years failure is a possibility for a spinning hard drive depending on the factors above.
merlyn
Regular
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Re: iMac Starting problem and life expectansy of harddrives.

Postby mountain lion » Sat May 15, 2021 3:51 pm

Thank you,
I’ll just go on as usual,
No Need for extra harddrive.
mountain lion
Regular