You are here

196Khz from ASIO4ALL?? Is this possible?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 196Khz from ASIO4ALL?? Is this possible?

Postby Kolakube » Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Sorry guys but im using firewire.

Wombat, your so mis informed about every issue we discuss.

A dedicated DAC that costs a grand is light years above a £300 sound card.

Yes built in DACs have improved. It goes without saying dedicated DACs haven't exactly stood still.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Mon May 10, 2010 10:23 pm

Also......

Apogee DAC on windows 7 (which will be here for the next 5-10 years no doubt)

http://intergalacticplanetary.net/blog/2009/08/29/apogee-mini-dac-works-in-windows-7/

Seems its only Vista that the DAC wouldn't work on. Mind, Vista was nothing short of an abortion of an OS. Im still on XP as a result.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue May 11, 2010 12:56 am

kolakube wrote:Sorry guys but im using firewire.

Wombat, your so mis informed about every issue we discuss.

A dedicated DAC that costs a grand is light years above a £300 sound card.

Yes built in DACs have improved. It goes without saying dedicated DACs haven't exactly stood still.

My belief (and it IS largely a belief - I haven't dedicated my life to doing properly structured blind comparisons of equipment) is that D>A conversion is now pretty well understood, moderately-priced gear does the job and boutique equipment is as much a rip-off as e.g. "magic cables" in the audiophool world.

Your belief is that something costing twice as much MUST be twice as good.

I don't think we're going to convince each other :-) Peace.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Kolakube » Tue May 11, 2010 7:57 am

Yeah fair enough we can agree to disagree.

But its not so much about money. SInce the days of my hi fi separates, separates were always better than a midi hi fi.

I feel the same still applies today. One box does all approach never works for me.

Also, keep in mind my MiniDAC was £750 (ish) I dont require a sound card to go with it as its the firewire version.

So in other words I have paid £750 for a great sounding soundcard (forget the DAC bit)

If I had to pay £500 for a soundcard and then £750 for the DAC then id be more inclined to agree with you but I have paid £750 for an interface that gets the audio out of my PC and onto my monitors.

I honestly dont think this is a bad price considering even if you do just see it as a pro quality sound card.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:My belief (and it IS largely a belief - I haven't dedicated my life to doing properly structured blind comparisons of equipment) is that D>A conversion is now pretty well understood, moderately-priced gear does the job and boutique equipment is as much a rip-off as e.g. "magic cables" in the audiophool world.

Your belief is that something costing twice as much MUST be twice as good.

I don't think we're going to convince each other :-) Peace.

Hi EW!

I have to agree with kolakube on this one - assuming you have some acoustic treatment in your room and discriminating loudspeakers (or alternatively a good set of headphones) most musicians should hear the difference between the conversion quality of an audio interface costing a few hundred pounds and a quality DAC like this one from Apogee, or other similarly priced models from Lavry, Benchmark and others.

No it won’t sound twice as good, but the difference should be significant (as kolakube has already said he noticed).

Mid-price DACS are certainly not in the same league as ‘magic cables’ :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Paradigm X » Tue May 11, 2010 11:34 pm

at the risk of confusing an already confusing, but highly entertaining thread, ive found a lot of softsythns sound better at 88 or 96k, as aliasing is pushed up. Albino3 is just one. I spent a fair bit of time testing all this out, and bounced out at 96k, and resampled down with a quality resampler (voxengo) and it was still much better. Any which internally upsample wont benefit tho.

I was told a handy tip to work at 44/24 while building a tune, then bounce out at 96k, pushing up the buffer size to compensate if necessary.

Could be wrong tho.

:headbang:
Paradigm X
Regular

Previous