You are here

Apps and stuff

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Apps and stuff

Postby robinv » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 am

Pete Kaine wrote:
The Apple hardware is locked down enough that it's hard to run "dodgy" software on it unless you jailbreak it and void the warranty, where the Droid/Windows platforms are open source or not as restrictive and you can run whatever you wish, how you wish. Yet another reason developers would rather write for the Apple hardware over anything else I suspect.

Yeah, totally. It's always been the pro/con of the PC - there are no other appliances with which you can fiddle, improve and break as easily. Run what you like - there are consequences (as i know all too well from my tragic hard disk wiping of 2000); Run what they allow you to run - there are consequences :)
robinv
Frequent Poster

Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Making Music on the Microsoft Surface

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:19 am

Just found this link.

Very, very relivent to this thread discussion I think.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/10/former-music-label-boss-beat-piracy-by-selling-albums-for-1.ars?comments=1#comments-bar

*edit* Just realised this is in a thread already in the Music Business Subforum. Applogises if you've already seen it.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby robinv » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:05 am

Sooooooo...... Amplitude 2 is now on the iPad with even more features at a third of the price of Amplitude Live on the PC. Plus IK has released an iPad clip for a mic stand making it a gig-able piece of hardware. Waiting on a wireless footswitch and wah pedal :)

Now that the iPad has MIDI, does that change the playing field? Evolution from toy to tool?
robinv
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:14 pm

One App does not a platform make ;)

I don't think anyone was dismissing it as being able to function as a tool. I think we were just questioning your inital premise that it would be a game changer on a grand scale.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby robinv » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Pete Kaine wrote: I think we were just questioning your inital premise that it would be a game changer on a grand scale.

If only you had eyes to see.
robinv
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:59 pm

robinv wrote:

I'll make a note on my Newton to bring up this thread again in a couple of years.

;)

Acturly going back to my very first response, I've no doubt that this form factor will become more wide spread in the future once the processing abilitys of the units go up a bit more. As a one purpose device as amplitude proves it's a capable unit in it's current guise but you still can't write a tune on it.

No doubt that will change but we could be looking at half a decade or more before it's remotely viable.

But I still stand by my comments that a firm couldn't afford to develop a peice of software like cubase and hope to recoop the money by charging less than £10 a copy for it.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
robinv wrote:

I'll make a note on my Newton to bring up this thread again in a couple of years.

;)

Acturly going back to my very first response, I've no doubt that this form factor will become more wide spread in the future once the processing abilitys of the units go up a bit more. As a one purpose device as amplitude proves it's a capable unit in it's current guise but you still can't write a tune on it.

No doubt that will change but we could be looking at half a decade or more before it's remotely viable.
Way before that

But I still stand by my comments that a firm couldn't afford to develop a peice of software like cubase and hope to recoop the money by charging less than £10 a copy for it.
As for selling complicated DAWs for £10, no its probably not the way to go. The real revolution is in how we interact with computers and its happening right now. Think of the iPhone, iPad, Microsoft Kinect, PS3 Move etc. The mouse is a pretty rubbish input device in many respects and its days are numbered.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Carillon Audio Systems » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:33 pm

johnny h wrote: The mouse is a pretty rubbish input device in many respects

But the trackball isn't, never understood why they haven't taken off.

I hope we don't move to far towards the motion idea for interfacing or I'm going to get tired! Seriously for the task they meant a keyboard and trackball have not been bettered, and I see nothing coming up to take them on.

I think it's the same for mixing, a good fader which you can grab, move feel makes sense. Performance is another matter and then we are limited at the moment by our interfacing.
Carillon Audio Systems
Poster

Previous