You are here

Apps and stuff

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Apps and stuff

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Aye same here, it's been a good debate and I do see where your coming from Robin, it's just that I also think the's too many factors in the way short term for a lot of what you proposed in the inital post to happen. Mid to long term as portable processing power happens and the markets become more organized it could all well fall into place but who knows what else will happen to music software between now and then.

Anyhow it's Friday so let's have some OT action to lighten the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDrqBYkco-Y

If you can do all this on one of those, then roll on the dual core atoms ;)
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Mixedup » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Likewise, I'm not trying to be dismissive... just disagreeing with some of your conclusions! Always the way when you're speculating on what may happen in the future!

Look to me like Amplitube Live and iRig version are very different. The automation, MIDI and integration into other things is well worth the extra cost to me.

But I still agree that the iRig version is very good value for money, and that they can afford to do that.

As for DAWs, whether or not the mobile device versions will appeal, you may have something right about the retail price. When products like Reaper come along with an aggressive pricing model, and latterly a product like Zynewave Podium at $50, it does make you think that either the functionality/quality will have to rise in the market leaders, or that prices will need to fall if they're to remain competitive. Zynewave certainly appear to be going for the pricing model you're advocating — so let's all hold our breath and see how well it works!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby robinv » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:32 pm

(sniff) i love you guys.

Cubase 64 - what happened to the 10 minutes of blank loading screen followed by the thunk of the tape machine reaching the end of the cassette after having completely failed to load anything?

Cool - i didnt want you all to think i was being deliberately annoying :)
robinv
Frequent Poster
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on
Making Music on the Microsoft Surface

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:47 pm

robinv wrote:
Cubase 64 - what happened to the 10 minutes of blank loading screen followed by the thunk of the tape machine reaching the end of the cassette after having completely failed to load anything?

That's why the bar is there at demoscene parties ;)

Cool - i didnt want you all to think i was being deliberately annoying :)

Of course not. Just some friendly banter :)
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:52 pm

robinv wrote:Cubase 64 - what happened to the 10 minutes of blank loading screen followed by the thunk of the tape machine reaching the end of the cassette after having completely failed to load anything?

Ah, that takes me back. Loading 'The Hobbit' from cassette on a Commodore 64 for 20 minutes and praying no-one downstairs would switch a light on during the load... :crazy:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:23 pm

"You are sat by a campfire, exits are north and west"

"Time Passes"
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby robinv » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:"You are sat by a campfire, exits are north and west"

"Time Passes"

The immortal words "say to Thorin carry me" lay undiscovered as i languished in a dungeon for years and years and years... i hate that dwarf.
robinv
Frequent Poster
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on
Making Music on the Microsoft Surface

Postby onesecondglance » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:16 pm

"Time Passes"

LOOK E

You see nothing of interest.

WALK E

You have died in a rockslide. Retry? (Y/N)
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:30 pm

So does anyone know if I can get 'Colossal Adventure' for iPhone ('cos I'm intending to get one in the New Year)?

"The dwarf disappears in a puff of greasy black smoke"

That's MY kind of 'app'. :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:53 pm

onesecondglance wrote:

"Time Passes"

LOOK E

You see nothing of interest.

WALK E

You have died in a rockslide. Retry? (Y/N)

I think was about as far as I ever got in that game :frown:

Anyway one punt round google later and alas, typing "Greasy Drawf" into it was nowhere near as entertaining as I assumed it would be.

Sod this... I'm off for a game of Minecraft. :D
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:12 pm

robinv wrote:
onesecondglance wrote:
no, i disagree. it's exactly the same software - there are microwaves and washing machines running on Android, after all.

Although factually true - it IS just software, it's like saying we're the same because we're both made of carbon. Our experience of software, in the application of it, is vastly different and surely that's what software is about - in the using, not in the coding, in what it does rather than what it's made of. So for me, with something like the iPad and associated apps something different has occurred - something that didn't exist now exists and at this time it appears good and powerful and persuasive - but yes, it's all just software :)

Apple's genius is the application of technology to usability, which always seems to confuse very geeky specification-obsessed commentators but is otherwise extremely successful.

The whole idea of the traditional PC with mouse and keyboard may be coming to an end. An ipad does browsing, email, chat and flicking through photos much better than a top of the range PC, yet its much cheaper and you can carry it on the tube. And these are the things that most users do most of the time.

Cubase is quite a fiddly application with its myriad of windows and obscure quirks, some a hangover from the Atari ST days. For a teenager recording some guitar, it would much easier to use an ipad (give it a few generations), a small interface and a garage band app.

With bluetooth to access your keyboard/mouse and a hdmi port to plug into your big screen tv/monitor, the iPad could completely replace a separate desktop or laptop. In a few years time PCs could become a very niche product.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:29 pm

I agree and disagree with some of that Johnny althrough perhaps only the time frame specified rather than the final destination. After all Star Trek has already promised us an Ipad solution for all of our enviromental scanning requirements at some point ;)

This relevent bit of news fluff cropped up this afternoon through and is worth a glance: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1745981/tablets-doing-expected
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mixedup » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Funny... I always thought Apple's genius was three-fold:

1. Selling products whose applications must be bought from a closed, controlled market. eg iPod/iTunes; iPhone/AppStore...
2. Getting away with a frankly shockingly high mark up (see next to last para of this article) on sweat-shop goods.
3. Hardware design. Say what you like about Apple, their products do usually look better designed than the competition.

I do expect laptops to disappear in favour of tablets as the prices come down, as implied by that register article. But in reality, they'll still be there... once you've added the wireless keyboard you need it's essentially the same thing.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Mixedup wrote:Funny... I always thought Apple's genius was three-fold:

1. Selling products whose applications must be bought from a closed, controlled market. eg iPod/iTunes; iPhone/AppStore...

Indeed. They take an established idea (mp3 player / store) centralise it and lock in the process from start to finish, and then market it to people who didn't know or care that the original idea already existed.

2. Getting away with a frankly shockingly high mark up (see next to last para of this article) on sweat-shop goods.

The working conditions there are pretty average for the region and Foxconn paid more than 90% of the employers in that sector, in that region before all that went to [ ****** ] and now they pay 150% of the average to every worker. Also the suicide rate was something like a 3% average in a country where the national average suicide rate is something like 15%!

The are far, far worse offenders than Foxconn/Apple out there let me assure you. The only thing that made that story news worthy was the fact it was Apple, and the fact that the western world don't know or give a toss about where it's products come from. If you really have a beef with them, after reading that article then I'm afraid your going to have to throw away 90% of all your electronic goods right now!

3. Hardware design. Say what you like about Apple, their products do usually look better designed than the competition.

"Look"

Indeed. See point one. ;)
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby marsnic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:27 pm

robinv wrote:

That's an interesting question and something i'd like to investigate - because you can move multiple faders with MIDI, so it's not as if Cubase can only do one thing at a time - but i get what you say about the implementation of the mouse - seriously needs to be tried out :)
Glovepie - you know i actually own a P5 glove :)

The iPad apparently supports 11 touches.

I'm trying to get my head round what 11th control appendage they had in mind when deciding on this figure - and should they have called it the iTap - this one goes up to 11
marsnic
Regular

PreviousNext