You are here

Steinberg eLicenser

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Steinberg eLicenser

Postby OneWorld » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:29 pm

I have Cubase SX4, Hypersonic, and Tascam GVI and use a Syncrosoft key for the licenses. I am thinking of buying Halion Sonic and the advert says 'Requires Steinberg eLicenser USB Key' does that mean I need an additional USB key or can my existing one be used?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Steinberg eLicenser

Postby Reiknir » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:53 am

Yes you can, they are the same thing, Steinberg bought the technology from Synchrosoft but not the name and thus had to rename the thing an e-licenser
Reiknir
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks, I contacted the retailer as well and they assure me the existing key will work
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Though the old key will work, aparrantly there's a new version that uses faster memory or whatever. There's a suggestion it may improve timing in Cubase.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby InactiveX » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:23 am

Do you have any sources for that, EW?

Hadn't heard that before, and I'm interested.
InactiveX
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:09 am

Probably the forum at www.steinberg.net
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby tex » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:Though the old key will work, aparrantly there's a new version that uses faster memory or whatever. There's a suggestion it may improve timing in Cubase.

Fraid that was a myth from the original dongle "brick" about ten years ago. Got both. No difference.
Timing issues are due to system clocks which the dongle has not got.
tex
Regular
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:08 am

E-licenser doesn't appear to have improved my timing issues in Cubase. The first line of the vocals still appears to come in slightly late and the guitars invariably speed up towards the end of each take. :D
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Innovation usually starts with someone thinking out loud.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm

tex wrote:
Exalted Wombat wrote:Though the old key will work, aparrantly there's a new version that uses faster memory or whatever. There's a suggestion it may improve timing in Cubase.

Fraid that was a myth from the original dongle "brick" about ten years ago. Got both. No difference.

This from Steinberg's support site:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/free_articles/kb_show/usb-elicensersteinberg-key-details-tips-and-troubleshooting/kb_back/2020.html

But please yourself what you believe :-)
I have heard that different hardware revisions of the USB-eLicenser exist. What are the differences and is there an impact on applications using this USB-eLicenser?
Products which have been released between April 2002 and mid 2003 have been delivered with a USB-eLicenser of 6.5 cm (2.6 inches) in length. A new hardware revision has been included since then and these newer USB-eLicensers are a bit shorter and have a length of ~5 cm (2 inches). The new, shorter USB-eLicensers are using a faster processor. When working with complex Cubase or Nuendo projects, the hardware revision of the USB-eLicensers can have an effect on the responsiveness of the application in certain areas. So if you are using an older, longer key it might be useful to replace it with a newer, shorter USB-eLicenser. In this case please contact your dealer or national distributor to purchase a new, empty USB-eLicenser to transfer the license(s) to.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
tex wrote:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/free_articles/kb_show/usb-elicensersteinberg-key-details-tips-and-troubleshooting/kb_back/2020.html

I have heard that different hardware revisions of the USB-eLicenser exist. What are the differences and is there an impact on applications using this USB-eLicenser?
Products which have been released between April 2002 and mid 2003 have been delivered with a USB-eLicenser of 6.5 cm (2.6 inches) in length. A new hardware revision has been included since then and these newer USB-eLicensers are a bit shorter and have a length of ~5 cm (2 inches). The new, shorter USB-eLicensers are using a faster processor. When working with complex Cubase or Nuendo projects, the hardware revision of the USB-eLicensers can have an effect on the responsiveness of the application in certain areas. So if you are using an older, longer key it might be useful to replace it with a newer, shorter USB-eLicenser. In this case please contact your dealer or national distributor to purchase a new, empty USB-eLicenser to transfer the license(s) to.

Wow. Pretty good marketing talk. Translation: buy a new key.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:45 pm

ken long wrote:
Exalted Wombat wrote:
tex wrote:

Wow. Pretty good marketing talk. Translation: buy a new key.

It retails around £15. Not their most rapacious upgrade :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby debee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:E-licenser doesn't appear to have improved my timing issues in Cubase. The first line of the vocals still appears to come in slightly late and the guitars invariably speed up towards the end of each take. :D

Had this problem as well - fixed it by changing the FW driver to the legacy FW driver (manually, in driver update). Worth trying if still bugs you ;]
debee
Regular