You are here

Adding RAM to a D975BX2 motherboard

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Adding RAM to a D975BX2 motherboard

Postby planetnine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 am

Well, second go (SOS forum engine I hate you sometimes!)

I have a production workstation with an Intel D975BX2 MB and Q6600 CPU, loaded with two 1-GB sticks of RAM. OS is XP SP2 (vanilla 32-bit).

I'm looking to add another 2GB of RAM to take the machine up to its 3-and-a-bit-GB limit. I want to install Superior Drummer and I suspect It'll be happier with its own 2GB playground until I can print the tracks. Host is REAPER.

Anybody have any experiencing with putting 4GB in this MB on 32-bit? Anything I should be aware of, any warnings?

This machine has been rock-solid for me so I'd like not to break that (loaded with Crucial RAM and very limited software loaded -years since a crash).

I'd like to order matching memory from ScanPC and get this set up for a job next week, so any help or points of experience would be greatly appreciated.

>
planetnine
Regular
Planet Nine, Lincoln, UK.

Re: Adding RAM to a D975BX2 motherboard

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Well we do don't do Crucial so perfectly matching memory isn't going to happen, but then all the firms use different IC's (memory controllers) depending on the batch so the chances are the Cruicals that are currently available won't be a perfect match either as those batches change freqently.

That said if you can match the memory speeds and timings you should be all good in the vast majority of cases.

Download and install Speccy from http://www.piriform.com/speccy and check the RAM tab. It'll tell you the type and speed of the memory you need as well as the timings you should be looking for.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby planetnine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:20 pm

it wasn't Crucial, it was Corsair (my fuddled brain), and I couldn't match it exactly.

I got 2 1GB sticks of PC6400(?) 800MHz CAS4-4-4-12 originally and one of your guys recommended CAS5-5-5-18 -i'll have to change that in the BIOS when I fit it.

The original stuff was quite high spec I've been told, and nobody makes it anymore. I don't 100% understand the cascade timing thing, but I've been told it practically makes no difference between the two types (LN18745 and LN11596 if it means anything).

I'll look at the link you've given me, thank you Peter, but I ordered the memory today anyway.

Any BIOS tweaks needed for running 4GB on that board? I'm not too clever furtling around under the bonnet these days.

Thanks for helping...

>
planetnine
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

He's indeed right, that CAS settings don't really make all that difference unless your clocking the hell out of the system. Assuming the voltages are the same (check both old and new memory and it should say something along the lines of 1.8v or whatever on each stick) then your current settings will be fine and you'll just have to up the timings to that 5-5-5-18 setting.

I would once you've done run however run memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/ ) to ensure everything is working fine together. Give it overnight and check the are no red lines in the morning. If the is the odd one then you may need the volts/timings tweaking to ensure it all runs smoothly, but I'm not really expecting the to be any problems with that sort of memory as it's very well established now.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby planetnine » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Voltages were slightly differenet (2.1V and 1.9V), but I checked with Scan tech support and they said this was ok. BIOS auto set the voltage to 1.8-something Volts, and the CAS to 5-5-5-18. System seems to be running happily, will try the memtest util when I get the Superior Drummer install issue out of the way...

Many thanks for your advice Peter...

>
planetnine
Regular

Postby planetnine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 pm

MemTest has been running for five or six hours and hasn't turned up anything so far. I upped the voltage to 1.9V in the BIOS before I ran it, didn't want to run any higher unless I needed to or you reckon it's a good idea. Remember 2 of these sticks are 1.9V.

MemTest also reports that the RAM is running at 400MHz, is this right? My memory is marked 800MHz, is there some trickery I'm not familiar with?

>
planetnine
Regular