You are here

i7 mobo with 4 PCI slots???

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

i7 mobo with 4 PCI slots???

Postby simple » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:54 am

may be building a new DAW at the end of the summer, researching parts now.

hoping to run Win7 on 3.4ghz i7 processor with 8-16GB of the fastest ram I can pack in. I belive I'll need an LGA1156 socket mobo.

the question is...

I'd like a mobo with built in firewire, master/slave IDE channel, prefebly with a floppy drive port, & heres the kicker, I need 4 old styled PCI slots to run some older hardware interfaces (2x M-audio delta 1010LT, 1x EMU 0404, & 1x SCSI for sampler connection).

does anyone know of any mobo's that can be recomended for sucj a machine?

thanks guys

sy (stoltz)
simple
Poster

Re: i7 mobo with 4 PCI slots???

Postby moo the magic cow » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:27 am

Im sorry it looks like you're SOL. The only 4xPCI mobos I can find are LGA 775 (core 2 duo)

There are a fair number of PCIx3 mobos: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627+600008723+600007888&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Look up "PCI expansion" or PCI expander, though they're pricey, you could probably pull down a new card with the same money.
moo the magic cow
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Check whether you need an 1156 or 1366 slot.

Anyhoo, a PCI expansion slot is probably the way to go. They're cheap as chips second hand, as not many folk are using so many PCI slots these days. SBS, Digidesign/Avid and MAGMA are the reliable brands to watch out for. They tend to be a bit noisy, though, so you may want to replace and/or voltage-drop the fans.

FWIW, if you want to be sure of a working system, I'm happily using a seven-slot MAGMA chassis with an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard (which has two PCI slots itself) and Core i7 960 processor. The cables that you use to attach the computer and chassis are often quite short, as they're intended for rack servers. More recent models may have longer cables, and there are reports of longer SCSI cables working successfully. But that's something you'll need to try. I think Virtua Via do some such chassis for a reasonable price new, but I've not tried them and Universal Audio and Avid didn't specifically state that their cards would work with them. Can't see why they wouldn't, but it's a risk.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Just re-read your original post. TBH, I'd probably junk/sell the audio cards and get a newer PCIe or FW one. You could easily get a PCIe SCSI card if you needed - though you should have enough slots free if you get rid of the audio cards anyway...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:20 pm

simple wrote:(2x M-audio delta 1010LT, 1x EMU 0404).

Will they work in the same machine?

Anyhow skipping over what your currently looking at, you'd have more luck going for a newer Sandybridge chip and something like the Gigabyte GA-PA65-UD3-B3 motherboard if you really do need 4 pci's.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby simple » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:21 am

Pete Kaine wrote:
simple wrote:(2x M-audio delta 1010LT, 1x EMU 0404).

Will they work in the same machine?

yes, they do, I have them running currently on a asus commando mobo running a Q6600 without any problums at all.

seems theres a few 16GB i7 mobos produced by gigabyte that have 4x PCI slots & a few other legacy features I require, so have some good food for thought here guys thanks!

I have also considered either droping the EMU 0404, or cross grading the 2x Delta 1010LT over to a motu 24i/o (possibly on PCI).

we'll see what & how I decide to go with.
simple
Poster