You are here

HD for sample libraries: Internal SATA vs external USB2?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

HD for sample libraries: Internal SATA vs external USB2?

Postby DoItAgain » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi folks,

I've noticed one or two sample library suppliers recommending installing onto a ' fast external drive '.

Is this because it'll somehow perform better than an internal drive? Or more so that library content can be portable and used on more than one machine?

Up 'til now I've been storing samples on a partition on the same drive as XP (until I could afford to add a separate drive) which was fine for a while but I'm now using library content more and more and noticing more dropouts etc.

I'll be going back over my system tweaks before splashing out on a new drive so in the meantime any advice on the above Qs would be lovely.
DoItAgain
Regular

Re: HD for sample libraries: Internal SATA vs external USB2?

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:45 pm

DoItAgain wrote:Is this because it'll somehow perform better than an internal drive?

In general yes. Let the system handle the system drive and swap file, and spread the sample load onto a different disk will get you better performance in general.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Mixedup » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Either will work. And you can always remount an internal drive as an external or vice versa. One thing to bear in mind is that if you install a lot of internal drives, there's potential for them to generate a lot of noise. With an external drive you can plug it in when needed. Though it's arguably better to boot them up regularly in any case...

Also, you could use the older IDE drives instead of SATA quite comfortably as long as you get the 7200rpm ones... and you might find them cheaper.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby DoItAgain » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:33 am

In that case I'll start shopping around for an external 7200rpm drive.

(I forgot to mention that I do have a 2nd internal drive but this is strictly reserved for my main audio partition. If usb2 is just as stable and fast as sata then going external will add a bit more flexibility.)
DoItAgain
Regular

Postby RichD » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:54 pm

you could try esata or usb3. both of these will give you better performance compared to usb2. you will prob need to get the corresponding controller card too.
RichD
Poster

Postby tim_obrien » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:24 pm

dont forget there are drives like Glyph that have usb, sata AND firewire all in one box so you can hook it up any way you want!!
:D
tim_obrien
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:20 pm

DoItAgain wrote:Thanks :)

In that case I'll start shopping around for an external 7200rpm drive.

(I forgot to mention that I do have a 2nd internal drive but this is strictly reserved for my main audio partition. If usb2 is just as stable and fast as sata then going external will add a bit more flexibility.)

Well, eSATA, USB3 and FW800 are all faster. But importantly USB2 is plenty fast enough for the job, and it's cheaper. Spend the extra on a bigger or better drive rather than a faster connection that yuo're not going to use!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby DoItAgain » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Mixedup wrote:
Well, eSATA, USB3 and FW800 are all faster. But importantly USB2 is plenty fast enough for the job, and it's cheaper. Spend the extra on a bigger or better drive rather than a faster connection that yuo're not going to use!

Thanks!

That's the exact advice I didn't know I was looking for :)

I've just ordered a Western Digital Elements 1.5tb USB2 7200rpm drive which will hopefully be more than adequate for some time to come.
DoItAgain
Regular