You are here

keeping two PCs synced

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

keeping two PCs synced

Postby kcseb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Guys

I've had a look in the FAQs and articles database but no joy...

Can anyone advise on how to keep a desktop and laptop sync'ed? I'm running Cubase 5 32-bit on my desktop, nice stable system with couple of UAD cards.

However I want to work mobile and have Cubase 5 on my laptop too.

How do I keep project files up to date all the time, so I can pick up where I left off from desktop to laptop and vice versa?

Other issue is matching VST plug-ins and instruments...most are iLok but a few have weird proprietary authorisation, plus I've got a UAD on the desktop. So suggestions welcome on that aspect too.

Many Thanks

Kevin
kcseb
Regular

Re: keeping two PCs synced

Postby takubayashi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Try live mesh for file sync / via cloud.

You may have a problem with authorisations which will probably be able to tell the difference between the two machine regardless of what you do with the files.
takubayashi
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Software producers would probably love everything to be "in the cloud" - all you'd host locally would be a dongle driver! But that ain't here yet and, as you say, some bits of your system you can carry around with you, some you can't. For a start, those UAD cards, and anything that relies on them, are going to be stuck at home. If you're a sample-chopper, synching your Cubase project files online could indeed be feasible. If you record real instruments and singers those wav files get BIG, and I think working from a portable hard drive might be your only option.

Either way, you'll be able to travel enough hardware and data so you can continue being creative while away from home. But the final polishing and mixing will have to wait until you're home again.

People often whinge that too much choice stifles creativity. Perhaps you could treat working on a minimal system as an opportunity rather than a restriction!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Rockrooms » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:58 pm

If you are wanting to just keep the files synchronized and the laptop and desktop are can connect on the same network, then SyncToy might be worth taking a look at, I used to use it for keeping two Reaper systems in sync.

Microsoft SyncToy

- Joe -
Rockrooms
Regular