You are here

Ide to Sata conversion for external Hard Drive

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Ide to Sata conversion for external Hard Drive

Postby TheBev » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi all -

I've got some old IDE Carillon Hard Drive Enclosures, purchased from Turnkey around 2003-4. The drives are getting on & I replaced 1 with an IDE 500gb model but found it expensive compared to Sata, not to mention that 500gb was the largest I could find. Hence the question, I'd like to convert them to SATA if possible, but the space inside of the enclosures looks tight to say the least, & the conversion doo-dahs I've seen wouldn't fit.

Does anyone know of a smaller one, or another way of going around the problem.

Thanks..

BTW - saying - 'buy some different ones' isn't what I'm after. I love the things, the look of them on my desk & their stackability, I mean I haven't designed the whole flat around them or anything - but... :)
TheBev
Regular
"The tech gets better, the user error remains the same.." Roberts Plant

Re: Ide to Sata conversion for external Hard Drive

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:14 pm

drargon wrote:Hi all -

I've got some old IDE Carillon Hard Drive Enclosures, purchased from Turnkey around 2003-4. The drives are getting on & I replaced 1 with an IDE 500gb model but found it expensive compared to Sata, not to mention that 500gb was the largest I could find. Hence the question, I'd like to convert them to SATA if possible, but the space inside of the enclosures looks tight to say the least, & the conversion doo-dahs I've seen wouldn't fit.

Does anyone know of a smaller one, or another way of going around the problem.

Thanks..

BTW - saying - 'buy some different ones' isn't what I'm after. I love the things, the look of them on my desk & their stackability, I mean I haven't designed the whole flat around them or anything - but... :)

Are these for full-size drives? I suppose you could buy 2.5" units, which might leave more space for the adapter. But it would be a bit silly really, wouldn't it? Of all the things to fall in love with, retro computer gear .... :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Re: Ide to Sata conversion for external Hard Drive

Postby TheBev » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks. :blush:

Yeah they are full sized, I hadn't thought of that, good point. & it's not exactly retro computer gear as such, I mean the tech I'd happily leave behind, but the enclosures are functional, fit on the shelf stacked & just look kind of right - to me.

Also buying new enclosures seemed kind of wasteful, if a tenner could keep them going with some new drives. If not, then it would be time to look at newer ones.
TheBev
Regular
"The tech gets better, the user error remains the same.." Roberts Plant