You are here

Help With Virus Problem.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Help With Virus Problem.

Postby MightyZeus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:31 pm

I've probably the most irritating virus ever, if it is that. For some reason I can't copy and paste files or folders on my computer. When I want to copy a file or folder from one location to another on my laptop it simply can't and as a result I can't relieve my hard drive of the heavy/big files on it cause I can't copy them onto my external hard drive. Does anyone know of a remedy? The funny thing happened today, a friend of mine was able to copy pictures from her camera into a folder on my laptop, I can't do this with any other external devices, only with her camera. What could be the cause and yes again, how do I remedy this? Thank you all in advance.
MightyZeus
Poster
Sound Without Focus Is Noise!

Re: Help With Virus Problem.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:18 pm

What Windows version?

This might have something to do with a corrupted Internet Explorer.

If you suspect malware, it never does any harm to run Malwarebytes and the Eset Online Scanner. Both are free, Google will find them.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby inderface » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Have you updated your virus scanner and done a full system scan?
Are any of your drives very full?
If it is a virus make sure you turn off system restore/protection before you delete/clean it and then back on after.

Another thing to try is put the offending drive as a slave drive on another machine and virus scan etc...
If its on another machine as a slave drive you may be able to move files that way .....
inderface
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:18 am

Yes, don't assume it's a virus. Check it out.

This is a link for ESET.

Also, when moving and copying files windows makes temporary copies of them. If you are running out of space on your system drive it might not have enough space to work with. So try booting into Safe Mode and deleting any files that you know you have backed up elsewhere. You can do it booting normally, but I prefer Safe Mode because it loads a cut down version of Windows that uses less system resources and sometimes that is enough to let you move some files and create space to work with.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Parco » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:21 am

have a look on its latest benchmark report

http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/detection-test

bless you :bouncy:

P.S. I don't think ESET is a workable stuff, I cannot keep the security with using ESET but just cheating myself ;)
Parco
Regular
Sonar PLT + Foobar2000 -> ASIO + MMCSS + Windows 10 -> SIIG NN-E20012-S2 -> Echo AudioFire 4 -> HH MX250 + Wharf Delta70 A native USA style contemporary R&B artist in HongKong

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Parco wrote:have a look on its latest benchmark report

http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/detection-test

bless you :bouncy:

P.S. I don't think ESET is a workable stuff, I cannot keep the security with using ESET but just cheating myself ;)

ESET is a perfectly "workable stuff" :-) It's not the only cleanup utility out there, it's one tool among many. But I get a lot of infected computers on my workbench, and my current Top Three tools are ESET Online, MalwareBytes and Combofix.

Nothing can stop you going to a dodgy site, seeing "Would you like to install this" and you saying "Yes please!" And there are some very plausible email scams going around. But I can't remember the last time I had to wipe and re-install a system :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby MightyZeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm

I can't thank you all enough for your replies, I'll try ESET and Malware Bytes first. By the way I'm using Windows 7 and am using AVG Internet Security 2011 (Full Version) as my anti virus.
MightyZeus
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:10 pm

MightyZeus wrote:I can't thank you all enough for your replies, I'll try ESET and Malware Bytes first. By the way I'm using Windows 7 and am using AVG Internet Security 2011 (Full Version) as my anti virus.

OK. Eset will insist you disable AVG before proceeding, Malwarebytes will run a lot quicker if you do!

I suggest you ditch AVG in favour of the free Microsoft Security Essentials. But that's another matter!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby MightyZeus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:11 pm

I've tried using ESET and it found an infected a files and deleted it, and similarly Malwarebytes found a number of infected files in the registry and deleted them also but the problem I had persists. Where to from here, anyone? Why aren't files copying from one location to another?
MightyZeus
Poster

Postby DragonLogos » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Nod32 works well and the new AVG 2011 is quite good - one of the big problems is that the bugs tend to take out your AV solution, so it ends up firing blanks while the bugs flock into your system in droves... often you have to remove the drive from a system and debug it, then if its got a crippled AVG you can put on Nod or the other way around, the new AVG is nice as it seems to change its engine every do often, which can be a bit of a pain when you find that after a month or more the up-date from scratch takes 25 - 70 megs

The repair feature seems buggy with 2011 rather un-install and redo from fresh. Do the custom install, un-tick the toolbar thing, do the bottom one first, just un-tick the survey if you do not want to do that

Stay clear of dodgy copies of Nod they can be bugged

Rather download copies from www.filehippo.com

Keep your AV up to date which is a bit of a problem in some parts... esp with companies like Telkom and their stupid little caps
DragonLogos
Regular

Postby MightyZeus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:44 am

Keeping AVG updated is not a problem, I'm uncapped and my line's relatively fast...this is all subject to rates.
MightyZeus
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:36 pm

Benjamin Nyman wrote:Hi!
I had a lazy good friday reading through one of my SOS mags and found PC notes in SOS November 2009 - might be you have too little space on your C drive, if you are having multiple partitions or drives on your PC. Apparently windows need space on your systems drive to use for temporary files.

//Benja

The paging file(s) can be on any user-specified partition(s), and some people are surprised when it's demonstrated just how well Windows (on a system with ample RAM) functions with them completely disabled (don't argue until you've tried :-).

But if Windows functions at all, it's hard to see how low disk space could prevent copying a small file.

Let's hear how much free space is on his internal drive though.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby ElecTrika-MixTek » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Make sure you have assigned the correct file sharing permission (My computer/tools/folder options) to the drive in question in order to permit editing and copying of files and folders. Sometimes this is signified by an open hand over the drive icon in explorer.
ElecTrika-MixTek
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:48 pm

ElecTrika-MixTek wrote:Make sure you have assigned the correct file sharing permission (My computer/tools/folder options) to the drive in question in order to permit editing and copying of files and folders. Sometimes this is signified by an open hand over the drive icon in explorer.

The open hand indicates network sharing.

Let's hang on now until he's confirmed that a variety of devices won't play nice, not just this one drive (I THINK he said that, but let's check), that there's free disk space and that he's investigated the registry key I mentioned.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby DragonLogos » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:37 pm

1. Does it copy and Paste in Safe mode

2. Does it work if you sign in as another user with Admin rights
DragonLogos
Regular

Next