You are here

Help With Virus Problem.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Help With Virus Problem.

Postby MightyZeus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Thank you all for the replies, I've now got 2 GIGs worth of free space on my hard drive. The external hard drive that I'm trying to copy files onto has 25 GIGs worth of free space. Yes, any external device that I insert into the laptop refuses to copy files of any size onto/from the laptop. This is a recent develop which is why I concluded that it must be a virus cause this was all sudden and out of nowhere. Exalted how do I create "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies."? when I type this on the address bar on my folder, my browse launches by default. I know that I'm doing something wrong. I'm using a 64 bit Windows 7 Comapaq laptop,AMD Sempron (2GHz), 2 gigs ram.
MightyZeus
Poster
Sound Without Focus Is Noise!

Re: Help With Virus Problem.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:43 pm

MightyZeus wrote:how do I create "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies."? when I type this on the address bar on my folder, my browse launches by default. I know that I'm doing something wrong. I'm using a 64 bit Windows 7 Comapaq laptop,AMD Sempron (2GHz), 2 gigs ram.

You missed the bit about using regedit to do this. But, on the whole, I don't think you should try to do this manually. Here's a small file. Run it, and it will make the required registry change.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25954546/storagedevice.reg

It's a slim chance that this is the problem, but it won't hurt to try.
(If you like, wait until someone else has looked at what I've sent you and confirms it's harmless. There's no particular reason you should trust me :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Previous