You are here

E-MU 0202 Sound Quality

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

E-MU 0202 Sound Quality

Postby Sellars » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi, i am new to the forums and don't know a huge amount about sound, so i was wondering if someone could help me with something. I was just wanting to know, does a (modern) computer's sound card hold back the sound quality if you have a decent pair of speakers? aka. 'Bottlenecking' them? I have the onboard sound on an ASRock P55 Deluxe and an E-MU 0202 Audio Interface, i usually use the E-MU over the onboard sound. I was just wondering whether getting a decent speaker upgrade (~£100-200) would be worthwhile on that interface (or the motherboard). Will either of them give me the most out of a new pair of speakers? Or would i see more of a benefit with a better sound card too/instead? (Current speakers are Logitech Z 323, thinking of maybe getting a big upgrade sometime in the next few months or something.

Thanks in advance for any help i may receive :)
Sellars

Re: E-MU 0202 Sound Quality

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Welcome to the SOS Forums Sellars! 8-)

I suspect upgrading your loudspeakers and installing a little acoustic treatment will enhance your current sound far more than upgrading that Emu 0202 audio interface.

I don’t know those Logitech speakers, so I can’t offer any specific advice. However, they look tiny, so I suspect any pair of active loudspeakers designed for musicians will offer a more natural bass end :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sellars » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Yeah i thought that would be the case. These logitech speakers are really very good for the price but theyre still £50 speakers and i listen to a lot of music.

Are there any speakers that you would suggest for me as a good upgrade?

- ~£100-200 (Or wherever the sweet spot is to get good bang for my buck. ie. No real budget as it's going to be a few months.)
- Something simple that i can just plug into the mains and jack into my PC
- For general PC use. From most to least important: Music, Audio recording/editing/monitoring/mixing etc., Games, Movies/TV
- Prefer 2:1 but would consider other setups.
- I'm sure there are more paramaters/criteria that i have missed so if so, please let me know and i will provide more information.

Thank you :)
Sellars

Postby Sellars » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. To be honest the recording stuff isn't too important so don't worry about that. I probably didn't need to mention it. I would prefer to just get some speakers that sound good.
Sellars

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:23 am

Sellars wrote:
Are there any speakers that you would suggest for me as a good upgrade?

Proberly blows the top out of your budget range but for media 2.1's I'm a fan of the Blue Sky EXO MKII's. Well less of a fan since my house mate bought them and positioned them in the room below my own mixing position but still mightly impressive.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio