You are here

RME Fireface 800 – big problems in Windows XP

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: RME Fireface 800 – big problems in Windows XP

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sun May 01, 2011 7:52 pm

I remember RME had a special support for the firewire chipset problem - contact their support dept. directly, they should point you to it. If not mistaken, they were one of the few manufacturers that actually fixed the issue even with other fw drivers by providing registry patch.

All this info is a few years old though as I ditched fw on XP for a while and went to Mac OS X. From what I remember there was an issue with SP2 on XP making the fw interface intermittent (that was before the chip issue was known).

Now I am back on XP and run Firepod via fw 400 without much trouble, but the hardware now is fast enough to do it without much problem.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Re: RME Fireface 800 – big problems in Windows XP

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun May 01, 2011 9:32 pm

4TrackMadman wrote:I remember RME had a special support for the firewire chipset problem - contact their support dept. directly, they should point you to it. If not mistaken, they were one of the few manufacturers that actually fixed the issue even with other fw drivers by providing registry patch.

I don't remember a patch. I remember advice to install a legacy Firewire driver instead of the default Windows one. I don't think it solved a bad chipset though.

I also seem to remember that Windows later outgrew the need to use this legacy driver.

The experts are at the RME forum though, and I think I've seen the op has taken this problem there.

There are some reports of benefit from using a Firewire booster cable. Designed to enable longer FW cables, they have the additional effect of showing a different chipset to the interface, maybe one it likes better than the computer's.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.