You are here

LAN Hard drives

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: LAN Hard drives

Postby OneWorld » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Which ever you buy, do some research, as some work better than others. I think it all depends on how robust the operating system of the NAS. As far as I know the majority use various flavours of LINUX but some work better than others.

I was about to go and buy a Netgear one, but then found that they were very unreliable. A friend of mine that has since bought a later model says he has had no problems with it. At one place I used to work they spent a considerable several hundred pounds on a 4 drive raid NAS and even though a good quality box, it gave nothing but trouble, even refusing to see the drives on many occasions. They had it back to the supplier several times and within weeks it was not working again.

The alternative is to hang an external drive off the back of one of the computers, but of course that means leaving it switched on.

I do think there are such things as USB hubs that sort of work like a network router, but would think there has to be a 'host' computer involved unlike the NAS setup
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Agree. I have had good experiences with a Buffalo Linkstation.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby necromunger » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:41 pm

necromunger
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:54 pm

That seems like a good deal, the troublesome Netgear ones I came across weren't much cheaper than these anyway
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:57 pm

OneWorld wrote:

That seems like a good deal, the troublesome Netgear ones I came across weren't much cheaper than these anyway. Not exactly a NAS box but does the same job I suppose
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby seablade » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:35 am

OneWorld wrote:
I was about to go and buy a Netgear one, but then found that they were very unreliable. A friend of mine that has since bought a later model says he has had no problems with it.

For the record, I think this may depend in part on when you were looking. Netgear bought Infrant some time back, and now a lot of their NAS solutions are made by Infrant, and those have been rather good to me. I run one of their older boxes at my house, and one of their newer ones at my work, and have sucessfully recorded up to 40 tracks on it with absolutely no problem over the network. Works great for hauling my laptop into one of my performing spaces and recording with my tracking rig without having to haul in hard drives to record onto.

I did test out transfers on it before hand obviously, and tested out recording as well, I do both with no hesitation. I get a pretty well saturated gigabit link over AFP even, if I needed absolute speed and had a connection to support it I could switch to iSCSI, but honestly I haven't needed it.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks OneWorld.
But after buying that I still need to buy another SATA drive to put in it.

I was sort of hoping this would serve?
http://cpc.farnell.com/freecom/32969/drive-network-xs-1tb-lan-usb-freecom/dp/CS19408

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:27 am

ef37a wrote:Thanks OneWorld.

http://cpc.farnell.com/freecom/32969/drive-network-xs-1tb-lan-usb-freecom/dp/CS19408

Dave.

That looks fine. There are many nas boxes have 2 drives though, because data is archived there I think it is more common to use 2 mirrored drives in case one goes pop and then what happens to that terabyte of archived data :frown:
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 am

OneWorld wrote:

Dave.

That looks fine. There are many nas boxes have 2 drives though, because data is archived there I think it is more common to use 2 mirrored drives in case one goes pop and then what happens to that terabyte of archived data :frown:

Bit confused here OWya. Are you saying that the NAS server HAS one one Tb drive in it already but a second can be fitted?

I have poured over the spec' and it says 1G ram but I can't see a HDD?

And a bit OT;: Could you use that NAS server as a wee pc in its own right?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:02 am

necromunger wrote:you can get 100 quid cash back on one of these if you buy it before the 30 of April.

Sadly the small print says "Product must have been delivered & invoiced between 1 February - 30 April 2011." No hope of delivery by tomorrow now. Shame as otherwise I'd have gone for it. Never mind.

ef37a wrote:And a bit OT;: Could you use that NAS server as a wee pc in its own right?

Probably not. Although a NAS has many of the parts of a P/C so much will have been stripped out of both the hardware and the O/S that I would expect it to be difficult and not worth the bother to try and turn it into a general purpose machine.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby chris... » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 am

OneWorld wrote:I was about to go and buy a Netgear one, but then found that they were very unreliable.
How did you "find" this, without buying one ? Read something on the Internet...?

A friend of mine that has since bought a later model says he has had no problems with it.
Haven't used any one these things personally, but people I know have had good experiences with current Netgear ReadyNAS stuff.
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:57 pm

chris... wrote:
OneWorld wrote:I was about to go and buy a Netgear one, but then found that they were very unreliable.

How did you "find" this, without buying one ? Read something on the Internet...?

A friend of mine that has since bought a later model says he has had no problems with it.

Haven't used any one these things personally, but people I know have had good experiences with current Netgear ReadyNAS stuff.

Before I buy anything apart from bits and bobs these days I do a search on the internet, user forums etc, and some names seem to crop up again and again. Additionally, I ask about in the computer industry itself. I then balance out the risk and either get the credit card out or even more so these days (after having bought a few turkeys in my time) resist.

Off at a slight tangent, have come across some people that have built their own NAS boxes, using freeNAS as the OS, using instructions off t'internet

ef37a...might be worth watching this video to explain the NAS vs backup drive issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Smc4VzaXM

I think they need to fix their clock as well though!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Aftertouch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:18 pm

The box linked to on the Misco site has had the cashback offer extended until May 31st.

But...

It is not a ready NAS server. It is actually a very entry level proliant server. It comes without any hard drives, although it will take up to four.

You would also need to install an O/S. I remember there was a Linus build called OpenNAS or something that if I recall correctly was very well received.

Personally, I'd recommend you look at the QNAP devices. Very good boxes, so much so that Cisco rebrand them for there SME storage range.
Aftertouch
Frequent Poster

Postby Aftertouch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:23 pm

ef37a wrote:
OneWorld wrote:

Dave.

Bit confused here OWya. Are you saying that the NAS server HAS one one Tb drive in it already but a second can be fitted?

I have poured over the spec' and it says 1G ram but I can't see a HDD?

And a bit OT;: Could you use that NAS server as a wee pc in its own right?

Dave.

I don't see why not.
Aftertouch
Frequent Poster