You are here

Been using cubase 4 which DAW to change too?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Been using cubase 4 which DAW to change too?

Postby inderface » Sun May 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I`ve been using cubase since v3 on Atari.
Now have V4 VST.
Just getting a bit fed up with it.
And i fancy a change.
I would like it to be similar to cubase in usage.
Been looking at Cakewalk,Ableton, also have the chance of an old version of logic for pc, VER 4.7 i think it is..
what DAW should i change too and why?
What DAW do you use and why?
inderface
Regular

Re: Been using cubase 4 which DAW to change too?

Postby zenguitar » Sun May 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Reaper, for no other reason than you can try it for 30 days free and if you like it it's cheap to buy but worth a LOT more than the asking price.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 am

inderface wrote:I`ve been using cubase since v3 on Atari.
Now have V4 VST.
Just getting a bit fed up with it.
And i fancy a change.
I would like it to be similar to cubase in usage.
Been looking at Cakewalk,Ableton, also have the chance of an old version of logic for pc, VER 4.7 i think it is..
what DAW should i change too and why?
What DAW do you use and why?

You fancy a new toy? :-)

Plenty of things to play with in Cubase 6. Sure, for the price try Reaper. Basic, but what it does, it does. Ableton is a completely different concept to what you're used to.

If you're doing more than dabbling, tell us WHAT do and how Cubase VST fails you. Nothing wrong with dabbling though :-)

Programs are great tools when you HAVE inspiration. I'm afraid a new one won't GIVE you inspiration. Even better than inspiration is a requirement and a deadline. They can be productively invented :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Agreed!

inderface - bear in mind that whatever new DAW you choose, it’s likely to require a lot of learning, especially after you’re so used to Cubase. If you’d rather make music the upgrading to the latest version of Cubase probably does make more sense.

Personally I’d avoid that old version of Logic Audio for the PC - the final one released for PC hasn’t been updated for many years, and won’t let you take advantage of modern multi-core processors :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri May 06, 2011 5:29 pm

I felt exactly the same way about 12 months ago. Tried Reaper. Tried Ableton (admittedly a cutdown version supplied with novation hardware). Eventually settled on Cubase 6 & I'm loving it. Different enough to feel fresh, yet familar enough to do things instinctively.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
'Cause the law don't change another's mind

Postby lowlines » Fri May 06, 2011 7:55 pm

You should consider Presonus Studio One. It's a great programme and (ex)Cubase users seem to love it.
lowlines
New here

Postby il Padrino » Sat May 07, 2011 1:58 am

If you don't want a steep learning curve, yet you want something more intiutive, go for Presonus Studio One. I've used Cubase for nigh on 15 years. I do still use it on occasion for certain projects. However, I made the switch to Studio One and am more than happy.

Have a look into it via opinions, reviews etc. You get a free trial with it also, and it is similar though better in its approach than Cubase. Two of the coders used to work for Steinberg on Nuendo, I do believe.
il Padrino
Regular

Postby C.LYDE » Wed May 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Here's the thing.. the donkey, as always is in the details...

I have Presonus, Ableton, extensively use Cubase - have dabbled with Samplitude and Sonar.

Personally for remix work I love the Ableton work flow - though it sucks for more detailed editing and midi manipulations; which is probably expected - simple is fast, but then its siiiimple.

There are way too many functions in Cubase that we take for granted till one tries another DAW and similar functions are either not there or included as if rocket-science...
C.LYDE
Regular