You are here

Trk count/plugins (is upgrading to a dual core processor going to improve it)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Trk count/plugins (is upgrading to a dual core processor going to improve it)

Postby russianpolecat » Sun May 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi, I have a bit of an ancient computer - currently with a AMD Athlon 64 3000 (1.8 ghz) single core processor. My motherboard is a MSI MS-7025 K8N Neo2 Platinum socket 939, which apparently can support a dual core (2.2 ghz) AMD Opteron 175. I have 2 gig of OCZ Platinum PC3200 DDR400 RAM.

Basically, I'm pretty skint and although I'd love to get a new computer, but, well, it's not possible at the mo. I've been having a problem with track count/plugin overload etc. presumably with my single core processor as the prime suspect. It might be an obvious question, but would spending £70 to upgrade to the Opteron be worth it? would I get a significant boost in performance/trk count etc.?

I'm thinking in terms of working at 96khz etc...
russianpolecat
Regular

Re: Trk count/plugins (is upgrading to a dual core processor going to improve it)

Postby mhelmo » Sun May 01, 2011 11:18 pm

Hmm... well, the computer that I use has four dual-cores, but I can run 12 tracks at a time with processing on all of them and only use 15% of CPU. So, while it's obvious that the processor is making this possible, I don't know how much dif you would seee going from single to dual core. Especially at the price you quoted.
mhelmo
Poster

Re: Trk count/plugins (is upgrading to a dual core processor going to improve it)

Postby russianpolecat » Sun May 01, 2011 11:23 pm

Cheers.

I wonder if there is a freeware program that will tell me where the problems are...

It's got to be the processor though, thinking about it. When I get to a certain amount of trks/plugins things start to slow up and then the audio starts to skip/break up - that suggests processor does it not?
russianpolecat
Regular

Postby Remeniz » Sun May 01, 2011 11:46 pm

I used to run a very similar system 2 years ago before I did a major upgrade: Only difference was I used a A8N-SLI Premium board with Crucial Ballistix RAM.

Remember that a decent hard drive will improve your track count.

But yea, I replaced the Athlon 64 3000 with the Opteron 165 and I can tell you that it made a difference. I struggled with DSP resources until I upgraded. I realised the difference when my Opteron 165 died and I had to pop back in the Athlon 64 3000.

I was going to go for the Opteron 185 or the Athlon FX 60 but I held out for a full upgrade instead.
Remeniz
Regular

Postby russianpolecat » Sun May 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Cool, thanks. So, I take it that you were able to do all the DSP processing that you needed with the Opteron?

In terms of hard drive, I have a couple of SATA drives in at the mo - 7200rpm. That should be decent enough shouldn't it?
russianpolecat
Regular

Postby Remeniz » Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 am

At the time I was heavily programming in Reason and mixing a little in Nuendo. Running some of my Reason projects was a struggle with the Athlon 3000. The dual core Opty gave me more resources to work with. I cant remember how much I paid for the Opty 165 but it was worth it.

When mixing I still had to use plugs sparingly but at the time that wasn't a big issue. I just wanted to program freely in Reason without running out of power and at low(ish) latencies.
Remeniz
Regular