You are here

4:3 or 16:9 Monitors

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

4:3 or 16:9 Monitors

Postby Anonymous » Mon May 02, 2011 1:52 am

Hi guys,

I want to buy 2 monitors and wondered who was using the 4:3 format or 16:9.

I know 16:9(wide screens)have a better screen resolution, but are they practical for long sessions on the eyes?

Thanks
Anonymous

Re: 4:3 or 16:9 Monitors

Postby oggyb » Mon May 02, 2011 2:01 am

Well, the ONLY difference is the shape, and with two the widescreen type will take up more horizontal space and near-field speaker positioning might become an issue.

There is no inherent difference in the capacity to cause eye strain. This is mostly down to pixel pitch and brightness. Most of the better widescreens will actually be at 16:10 (e.g. 1920x1200 rather than 1920x1080).

In answer to your question, I'm using a 7-year-old Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 93SB, operating at 1600x1200 @75Hz with 120dpi setting in Windows. It's 4:3 and it works for me!

(that rhymed! :smirk: )

Ninja edit: search here for good advice on LCD screens http://forums.bit-tech.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30
oggyb
Frequent Poster
Composer;
http://www.ogonline.org

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon May 02, 2011 3:35 pm

It might seem obvious but check your video card will support the resolution you anticipate using.

I didn't... :roll:
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
'Cause the law don't change another's mind

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon May 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Music Manic wrote:Hi guys,

I want to buy 2 monitors and wondered who was using the 4:3 format or 16:9.

I know 16:9(wide screens)have a better screen resolution, but are they practical for long sessions on the eyes?

Thanks

Both shapes of monitor are available with various resolutions, and with various qualities of contrast, viewing angle, refresh rate etc. A wider screen must, of course, have a higher horizontal pixel count than a narrow one if it is to appear the same quality - there's more width to fill!

Beware of low-resolution 16:9 displays intended primarily as TV screens or for game-playing. Also check whether both analogue and digital inputs are fitted. Digital is margainlly but noticably sharper. And be aware that the stated measurement is the diagonal. A 22" 16:9 screen is not as tall as a 22" 4:3 and feels quite a LOT smaller.

You need to pay enough to get the resolution you want and a sharp, flicker-free picture. This means, in practice, that all but the very cheapest current models will probably be fine. You can pay a LOT more in a quest for absolute colour accuracy. This matters to publishers and artists, but is irrelevant on a DAW.

If you don't buy two screens of the same make and model, you'll see just how arbritary colour rendition IS on cheaper screens. Then try to get an affordable printer to match either! Impressive results are easy. Accurate ones are impossible at this price point :-) But, as I said, for a DAW, so what?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
You need to pay enough to get the resolution you want and a sharp, flicker-free picture. This means, in practice, that all but the very cheapest current models will probably be fine. You can pay a LOT more in a quest for absolute colour accuracy. This matters to publishers and artists, but is irrelevant on a DAW.

Indeed. Google up Eizo for a good example of that as I know a lot of graphic artists who swear by them.

For Daw use through I wouldn't get carried away as you don't need the acurate colour reproduction althrough having a decent quality panel is nice if you have to stare at it all day long.

I like a pair of widescreens myself and the price of a pair of 24's is pretty much rock bottom at the moment. I run Cubase across both with the arrangement window on the right screen, my mixer on the top half of the left and the bottom split into quaters with my spectral analyser in one half and the other half is left for vsti's to open in as I'm working or having the channel eq/routing window open of whatever I've selected. Plenty of space to see everything and I don't have to move things about too often so no interupting the workflow.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Daniel Davis » Tue May 03, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm still waiting for someone to bring out a 32:10 monitor - I'd love to have a whole mixer shown without the need for scrolling or going between screens. P.S. I really don't see why this should cost more than 2 16:10 monitors.
Daniel Davis
Regular

Postby 6120 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm slightly derailing this thread but I'd like to get a two monitor setup as I've recently revamped my home studio and have got the space.
I've currently got a very good but out of production Samsung 226BW and trying to find another one ebay is a bit hit and miss.

Therefore can anyone recommend a two monitor setup at either 22" or 23" and at full HD for DAW use?

As ever budget is a consideration but they'll just be used for my DAW and not for TV, film editing, games (urgh...) or any other purpose so absolute colour fidelity is not the prime consideration.

FWIW, I like the 16:9 aspect ratio as I like the wider panorama.

Cheers,
Terry
Regular

Postby 6120 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi Wombat,
thanks for the information and I'll look at other monitors that will be suitable. The Samsung is a good and I'm really taking the easy option as I know what it's like!
Thanks,
Terry
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi Music Manic!

I discussed the topic of native monitor resolution and aspect ratios back in PC Notes May 2005, so you might find it an interesting read:

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/may05/articles/pcnotes.htm#2

The subject got discussed further in SOS July 2005 as the result of a reader’s forum post:

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/jul05/articles/crosstalk.htm#2

Martin
Martin Walker