You are here

Advice regarding PC upgrade (working at 96KHz/trk count/dsp etc.)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Advice regarding PC upgrade (working at 96KHz/trk count/dsp etc.)

Postby russianpolecat » Thu May 05, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm looking to work at 192KHz (although 96KHz will be fine if not), with a trk count of maybe 40/50 max plus plenty of DSP plugs (Waves).

I currently have an K8N Neo2 Platinum socket 939 board, 2 gig of OCZ Platinum PC3200 DDR400 RAM, a Lian Li V1000 ATX case, an AMD Athlon 64 3000 processor, 2 x SATA 1 7200RPM hard drives and a TAGAN TG380-U01 380W power supply.

All this stuff is from around 2005, and I'm really struggling to do much even at 24/48KHz and my DSP is shite to say the least. Usually have problems with ASIO overload too, although I don't know if that is the same thing/same cause (not enough juice).

I was going to upgrade the processor to an X2 (the cheapest option), but now I'm thinking of going for a full upgrade since it won't cost THAT much to upgrade to an X4 system. My board choice is an MSI 870A-G54 with an Athlon 64 II X4 processor, plus 2/4 GIG DDR3 memory.

The question is this really - what kind of performance can I expect from such a system (in terms of what I set out above)? Also, which bit of kit has the most effect on performance? - processor followed by memory, followed by SATA drive etc? (will the HD be the weak link in other words). I do have one of the drives in an external USB 3.0 housing which is supported by the new motherboard (if that makes any difference).

Thanks,

Chris
russianpolecat
Regular

Re: Advice regarding PC upgrade (working at 96KHz/trk count/dsp etc.)

Postby John Roberts » Fri May 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Quite right - the interface is irrelevant. No single hdd can come close to saturating even a Sata 3Gb link.
John Roberts
Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri May 06, 2011 3:36 pm

John Roberts wrote:Quite right - the interface is irrelevant. No single hdd can come close to saturating even a Sata 3Gb link.

SSD's are getting closer but as far as mechanical drives go the very best hit around 1.4Gb/s burst rate but this isn't all that substainable. If you can get a solid 100Gb/s over the whole drive your doing very, very well.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby VOLOVIA » Fri May 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Sorry to ask you again, true, honest, no irony. While the other posters extrude their deep knowledge indeed on all things around 'transfer rates' etc. I am dying with curiosity to find out what kind of music you need to record 40/50 live tracks at 96+KHz. I can't think of any except (highly dynamic) orchestral work or quality jazz recordings.

For anything but those I still believe the best advice is to keep the recording media at 24/44.1 or, if really it 'has' to be, 24/88.2 (as posted above). The rest is asking for trouble (transfer rates, usage of tracks, limiting plug-in counts, etc.) for +-0.00000000001% better quality (maybe) return.

Just curiosity, honest. :beamup:
VOLOVIA
Regular
VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist

Postby russianpolecat » Sat May 07, 2011 10:00 am

That's precisely the reason that I want to work at higher sample rates, to preserve the quality of the stuff that I've already recorded - including strings - at 96KHz in decent studios (with 1073's/AKG C12's etc.) This set up is mainly for mixing - it's the cheapest option for me, at least for the time being. Trk at a decent studio for a few hrs here and there and then mix at home.

As much as anything it's about getting an idea of what I can achieve with a system so that once I've got that out of the way I can concentrate on upgrading other areas.

russianpolecat
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi again russianpolecat!

I’d stick with 96kHz for those projects, or choose the 88.2kHz option mentioned above, although modern sample rate conversion is pretty transparent, so unless you can hear the difference I’d stick with 96kHz.

One important thing to remember is that 192kHz doesn’t automatically sound ‘better’, and that a good set of 192kHz converters will still sound good when used at 96kHz or even 44.1kHz.

Martin
Martin Walker