You are here

PC memory upgrade quick question

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

PC memory upgrade quick question

Postby Andi » Sat May 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Folks

I'm about to order some additional RAM for my AMD Phenom / Gigabyte based DAW. I currently have 4G of DDR3 PC3-8500F CL 7 in 2 sticks. I can order either 4G of PC3-10600 CL 9 or similar to what I have already for the same price from Crucial. Does it make any real difference which I go for?

Thanks

A.
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

Re: PC memory upgrade quick question

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat May 07, 2011 4:54 pm

The standard advice is to match as closely as possible what is already installed.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Re: PC memory upgrade quick question

Postby Andi » Mon May 09, 2011 9:32 am

Mowens800 wrote:crucial website usually tells you what is more recommended and compatible. As long as they fit the motherboard and matched in pairs I didn't think it made too much difference.

I checked Crucial first, the site recommended both options I posted above.

A.
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio