You are here

lost with fan configuration

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: lost with fan configuration

Postby Drinking » Fri May 13, 2011 12:44 am

Hmmm can of worms time.

The fan thing sounds easy. Leave the CPU fan connected to the CPU fan header and set the BIOS to "smart". Connect the case fans to the fan controller and set it to low/medium.

The only way to tell if your fans are working well enough is to run a temp monitor program. Most computer builders will tell you to run your PC at 100% load to check working temps in order to cover any "worst case" situations but I don't. Running a DAW is hardly going to be cooking your processor so just keep an eye on it for a few weeks. If your temps are a bit high, turn your fans up slightly. YOu will have to check norman opperation temps somewhere as I don't know Sandybridge stuff yet.

As for the overclock, could be a few things but I suspect that as it is a standard build it was not supposed to be sold as overclocked. The overclock could be a speed boost feature of your BOIS that went wrong. Putting it back to 1666 could be a case of finding your performance features in BIOS and turning them back on.

THe worring part is that it failed this overclock, and you are not getting very good latency figures. It could be a sign of a problem somewhere.
Drinking

Postby Bob Moose » Fri May 13, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks for your answer.

Drinking wrote:The fan thing sounds easy. Leave the CPU fan connected to the CPU fan header and set the BIOS to "smart". Connect the case fans to the fan controller and set it to low/medium.
It's what I would like to do exactly, but it's not that easy as the Noctua DH-14 cpu cooler has 2 fans, so as far as I understand it requires 2 powering sockets that both have speed control.

As for the overclock, could be a few things but I suspect that as it is a standard build it was not supposed to be sold as overclocked. The overclock could be a speed boost feature of your BOIS that went wrong.
Everything was set to default when I first booted the computer, and I did not intend to overclock it myself (I chose the i7 2600K over the 2600 as the price difference was only a few euros).

Putting it back to 1666 could be a case of finding your performance features in BIOS and turning them back on.
Actually, after changing some BIOS settings the memory did go back to 1600MHz. I have no idea why, but it's ok as it works.

THe worring part is that it failed this overclock, and you are not getting very good latency figures. It could be a sign of a problem somewhere.
Difficult to know. I could try to overclock it manually, just to see what it does. I don't need overclocking but maybe it will help me find where the problem is.

-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri May 13, 2011 10:02 am

Bob Moose wrote:

I have bought a "Sandy Bridge" desktop and the shop where I bought the components offered me to assemble it for free. They did a very clean job, but I'm not sure which fan is plugged in which socket without de-assembling the PC completely. Of course, it is also possible to plug only one fan at a time for "discovering" the right cables. But it's impossible to see where the cables go.

Find the headers on the board and unplug one by one. As each one is unplugged the fan will spin down and you can mark the header off.

From the manual it is not very clear which fans can be controlled in software.
In the BIOS you can set the "CPU Smart Fan Control" to "silent" and the "CPU Smart Fan Mode" to "voltage", which I did.
In the Gigabyte Easy Tune software there is a smart fan section that allows to control the fan speed in function of the CPU temperature. I guess it only affects the fan that is powered by the CPU_FAN socket, but it's not clearly stated anywhere. Moreover I guess the DH-14 needs 2 powering sockets as it uses 2 fans.

First off uninstall Easytune. It's reknown for being a major cause of headaches for audio users.

Let the bios control the heatsink fan. The might be a cable in there that will split the header from cpu controller into two fan connectors and by doing this you can let the bios control both fans at once. If the isn't you can pick them up for about a quid.

Additionally the Fractal fan controller provides with 3 additional sockets, and a potentiometer for changing the speed of the fans that are connected to these sockets.

I'd use those on the case fans normally but you have a control pot on the case this time for that.

So here are the questions:

* which fans would you connect to which sockets?
* would you recommend to turn OFF the case fans for better silence?

No, you need a front fan and rear fan to give good air flow through the case and ensure all componants are cooled. Attach your two case fans to the voltage controller pot in the case and set to the lowest level. Install "Prime 95" and run in the just testing mode and select either test one or two and leave running for an hour. During this time install and run "core temp" and monitor the temps. If it get's above 80c turn up the fans and if it doesn't then happy days for all :)

Also, for some reason the RAM switched from 1666 to 1333MHz. According to a text message (before OS loading) it was because the computer was overclocked improperly or the voltages were wrong. But I did not overclock it, only tried a few fan connection setups.
If someone knows how I can recover 1666MHz RAM, please tell me

Not uncommon as a lot of boards have fail safes these days. They tend to reset to these either after a failed shut down or a fail start up where the voltages are not right for the components. It's not always a problem (sometimes a powerspike can do it) but worth keeping an eye on. To reset normally you just enter the bios and then hit save and exit. The previous settings should still be in the bios but the fail safes are just being invoked until you tell the machine otherwise. If you enter/save/exit and they are not set back to normally then check the saved profiles in case the shop has saved the profile they set up for you. If not it's grab the manual and start reading time to find out how to set it up again. Memory settings can be found on the memory stick itself.

Drinking wrote:

The only way to tell if your fans are working well enough is to run a temp monitor program. Most computer builders will tell you to run your PC at 100% load to check working temps in order to cover any "worst case" situations but I don't. Running a DAW is hardly going to be cooking your processor so just keep an eye on it for a few weeks.

Hey, as warned I don't agree ;)

If your ASIO levels in your sequencer is being run at 90%+ then you are pushing the system as hard as Prime 95 does. It may not happen in the first year of use, but eventually load levels may creep up, and dust may build up in your machine and those working settings you put in now, may cause all sort of havoc in a years time when you've forgotten about everything your doing at this point. A DAW can be run damn hot when under heavy load and you really should tune it now to ensure a long productive parts life inside the case.

It's a fail safe feature on a lot of boards now. Normally during post check if a part doesn't respond within spec quickly enough it'll invoke a fail safe to allow you to enter the bios and check them. It can be trigged by poorly set up voltages, but a failed shut down or power spike at start up can also throw it off kilter.

The original settings however should still be there and just by entering and saving and exiting you should be able to restore the original settings. If not the shop may have saved the profile in the bios for you under the profiles section.

If neither of those help then it's grab the manual and start reading time I'm afraid. The settings you need are written on the memory sticks, so shouldn't be too tricky.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Bob Moose » Fri May 13, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks for you detailed answer Peter

Pete Kaine wrote:Find the headers on the board and unplug one by one. As each one is unplugged the fan will spin down and you can mark the header off
Can I do this while the computer is running, or is it recommended to switch off while unplugging?

First off uninstall Easytune. It's reknown for being a major cause of headaches for audio users.

Let the bios control the heatsink fan. The might be a cable in there that will split the header from cpu controller into two fan connectors and by doing this you can let the bios control both fans at once. If the isn't you can pick them up for about a quid.
Thanks for this information. I didn't know Easytune was problematic. I will pick up a Y-cable for sure.

Not uncommon as a lot of boards have fail safes these days. They tend to reset to these either after a failed shut down or a fail start up where the voltages are not right for the components. It's not always a problem (sometimes a powerspike can do it) but worth keeping an eye on. To reset normally you just enter the bios and then hit save and exit. The previous settings should still be in the bios but the fail safes are just being invoked until you tell the machine otherwise. If you enter/save/exit and they are not set back to normally then check the saved profiles in case the shop has saved the profile they set up for you. If not it's grab the manual and start reading time to find out how to set it up again. Memory settings can be found on the memory stick itself.
Yes I could have the RAM recover 1600MHz yesterday evening, using the "enter/save/exit" trick you mentioned. From what you say, it appears that the RAM switched to 1333 because I had shut down the PC manually (when testing the fans).

-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri May 13, 2011 11:45 am

Bob Moose wrote:Thanks for you detailed answer Peter

No problem. I acturly wrote all that twice this morning due to being half asleep and closing the wrong page at the end. :headbang:

Bob Moose wrote:
Can I do this while the computer is running, or is it recommended to switch off while unplugging?

Has to be done whilst on so that the fans are spinning when you unplug them.

Yes I could have the RAM recover 1600MHz yesterday evening, using the "enter/save/exit" trick you mentioned. From what you say, it appears that the RAM switched to 1333 because I had shut down the PC manually (when testing the fans).

-j

Yeah, I spotted that in the other thread after I posted. It does look indeed like that may have been the case :)
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Bob Moose » Sun May 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Let the bios control the heatsink fan. The might be a cable in there that will split the header from cpu controller into two fan connectors and by doing this you can let the bios control both fans at once. If the isn't you can pick them up for about a quid.

Well that Y-cable was not that easy to find in France but I finally got one and installed it. I also connected the fan cases to the Fractal case fan controller.
Now this computer is really silent!

In the BIOS, I used these values:

* CPU Smart FAN Control = "Silent (Allows the CPU fan to run at slow speeds)"

* CPU Smart FAN Mode = "Voltage"

But I am not sure about the first one. Instead of "Silent", you can choose "Normal (Allows the CPU fan to run at different speeds according to the CPU temperature. You can adjust the fan speed with EasyTune based on your system requirements)"

Does it mean that when you choose "Silent" the CPU fan runs at a constant slow speed?

Which setting would you recommend?

Install "Prime 95" and run in the just testing mode and select either test one or two and leave running for an hour. During this time install and run "core temp" and monitor the temps. If it get's above 80c turn up the fans and if it doesn't then happy days for all :)

When I run Prime 95 for about 15 minutes, the maximum CPU temperature is 53-58°C depending on the core. But after this time, the whole system seems to freeze (no mouse, no keyboard, static display) and I have to reboot it with the switch on/off button.
Tested with the "Silent" option only (see above).

-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon May 23, 2011 11:49 am

Bob Moose wrote:
But I am not sure about the first one. Instead of "Silent", you can choose "Normal (Allows the CPU fan to run at different speeds according to the CPU temperature. You can adjust the fan speed with EasyTune based on your system requirements)"

Does it mean that when you choose "Silent" the CPU fan runs at a constant slow speed?

Which setting would you recommend?

I would suggest that it does, and I'd always go with the setting that allows it to speed it up if it needs too.

When I run Prime 95 for about 15 minutes, the maximum CPU temperature is 53-58°C depending on the core. But after this time, the whole system seems to freeze (no mouse, no keyboard, static display) and I have to reboot it with the switch on/off button.
Tested with the "Silent" option only (see above).

Try it with the other setting. If it freezes it would suggest a heat or power sag problem. Whilst the tempture doesn't appear to be getting anywhere near hot enough to cause issues, i'd still try it with the other setting first before trying anything else... if it isn't that then your looking with some voltage tweaking on the cpu.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Bob Moose » Mon May 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
I would suggest that it does, and I'd always go with the setting that allows it to speed it up if it needs too.

Yes indeed. I quickly measured it with "SpeedFan". In "Silent" mode it is between 500rpm (idle) and 700rpm (when the CPU is 100%). In "Normal" mode 600rpm and 800rpm.
All approximative values!

Try it with the other setting. If it freezes it would suggest a heat or power sag problem. Whilst the tempture doesn't appear to be getting anywhere near hot enough to cause issues, i'd still try it with the other setting first before trying anything else...

Yes I admit I did not have the time to test with the "Normal" setting, by the way I always tried the second test, I should also give the 1st one a try.

Thanks again for your help
-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster