You are here

Wireless volume/mute remote for Windows XP

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Wireless volume/mute remote for Windows XP

Postby chane » Sat May 14, 2011 11:21 pm

My Windows XP Dell pc runs M-Powered ProTools with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card installed. The card's analog outputs drive my pair of nearfields. But I would like to have wireless volume and mute control. Can someone recommend one or more wireless remote models? gregorybattaglia@hotmail.com
chane
New here

Re: Wireless volume/mute remote for Windows XP

Postby Aftertouch » Sat May 14, 2011 11:56 pm

One option is to use a remote keyboard which has windows multimedia keys. A windows media center remote might also work, but you might have to have WMC running minimised (I can't remember off hand).

I would however be more comfortable using a hardware monitor controller inline between the Audiophile and your monitors, just in case of an unexpected high-level output being sent to your monitors.
Aftertouch
Frequent Poster

Re: Wireless volume/mute remote for Windows XP

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 16, 2011 8:16 pm

I did wwrite this PC Musician feature entitled ‘Remote Control Options For Music PCs’ back in September 2003, and most of its suggestions still apply (including the ones about wireless remotes towards the end):

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/sep03/articles/pcmusician.htm

However, I agree with Aftertouch - if anything ever goes belly-up (computer crash, wireless fault etc.) you’ll want an analogue control to grab to get rid of the awful screeching noise that damaging both your ears and your monitors :beamup:

The most popular budget model recommended around here is SM Pro Audio’s nanopatch 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker