You are here

Can the Sandy Bridge or a particular interface make a DAW program malfunction?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Can the Sandy Bridge or a particular interface make a DAW program malfunction?

Postby Skyline » Tue May 17, 2011 9:44 pm

I just bought a new DAW from DARC, a Sandy Bridge i7 (new batch), 8 core, etc. I also bought a Saffire Pro 14 to interface with my analogue desk.
I installed Sonar X1 (and reinstalled it) and have two (that I know of) serious bugs. But no one else on the Sonar X1 forums has experienced these bugs.

My previous DAW was an i7 4 core, coupled with a M-Audio Delta 66 interface. The same Sonar X1 installation on that PC works fine, i.e. without the two particular bugs above.

So, the only difference between the two PCs is the processor and the interface. Is it conceivable that one of these is making the Sonar X1 program malfunction?
:?
Skyline
Regular
When I'm sad I sing, and then the whole world is sad with me.
Band / Songs

Re: Can the Sandy Bridge or a particular interface make a DAW program malfunction?

Postby directresolution.com » Tue May 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi, give us a call or drop us an email and we'll go through it tomorrow. There aren't any known problems with X1 and Sandy bridge, could be a plugin causing an issue but really we need to go over the details of the two bugs to pin point what the issue is.
directresolution.com
Regular

Re: Can the Sandy Bridge or a particular interface make a DAW program malfunction?

Postby Skyline » Thu May 19, 2011 3:01 pm

I've had a long detailed chat with Simon at DARC and he's using his sources at Roland/Cakewalk to investigate. It's very unlikely tha the Sandy Bridge or interface are to blame. My new DARC is performing very well indeed and I'm very pleased with it. It's just a pity I can't say the same about Sonar X1.

Like most existing Sonar users I've been having a very hard time of late with the 'all new improved' Sonar X1, as evidenced by the traffic over on the X1 forum. Despite a massive post-release patch and some 'quick fixes' a number of us are experiencing a variety of bugs, some reproducable by others, some not, which suggests a lack of robustness in the new/amended code whereby bugs can happen depending on a particular series of actions on the part of the user.
Skyline
Regular
When I'm sad I sing, and then the whole world is sad with me.
Band / Songs