You are here

New Windows 7 install. Dedicated partitions or separate user accounts?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Windows 7 install. Dedicated partitions or separate user accounts?

Postby OneWorld » Sun May 22, 2011 4:09 pm

I used to use a similar setup in WinXP but had different hardware profiles. But the thing is, with either different hardware profiles or user accounts, on the same partition, then if one of the user profiles/accounts gets infected, I think that could affect the whole disk, including the other accounts/profiles?

The only way to avoid that is separate partitions. I ended up using those slide in/out disk caddies
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby InactiveX » Tue May 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Sounds risky, with the possibility of deactivating AV accidentally?

I don't bother with separate partitions, but it's good for keeping one away from the internet when there's work to be done!
InactiveX
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue May 24, 2011 3:44 pm

OneWorld wrote:I seem to remember in the old versions of Windows there was a little macro recorder, that recorded keystrokes and then created a macro from it so then you could select the network card and 'disable', and do the same with disabling the virus software. I can't remember whether it recorded mouse actions, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of freeware available that'll do the same

If you can do it by keystrokes, you can doubtless do it with a batch file. "Net stop" is a useful command.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby VOLOVIA » Tue May 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Sorry to jump in as 'Mr Ignorant', but I have been 'disabling' my internet by switching it off from the ... switch in front of my VAIO computer. I was told that this does not actually switch the LAN internet off.

Obviously 'no internet' information is exchanged, but does the computer still tries to check a LAN connection nevertheless, thus high-jacking resources etc..?

Be nice and patient with me, please ;)
VOLOVIA
Regular
VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist