You are here

Does anyone know the program that analyses the eq of one track and applies it to another?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Does anyone know the program that analyses the eq of one track and applies it to another?

Postby Rik » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:01 pm

I remember reading about this but I can't think what it was called. It does an FFT analysis of a track and then you can apply those eq settings to yours. Does anyone know what the software's called?
Rik

Re: Does anyone know the program that analyses the eq of one track and applies it to another?

Postby FutureRetro » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:08 pm

TC electronic do the Assimilator for powercore. I don't know of a native equivalent. There was an SOS review of it.
FutureRetro
Poster

Re: Does anyone know the program that analyses the eq of one track and applies it to another?

Postby martyfireball » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:20 pm

i believe it's freefilter your talking about. Nice software - killer to run in realtime though!! I have used it to give me a better understanding of what's going on in my tracks, frequency wise, by comparing my sound to "real" CD's.
martyfireball

Postby Stevedog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:51 pm

The Izotope Ozone 3 has a feature where you load a wav file into it it analyses the waveform and then applies those eq settingsa to your mix.. :bouncy:
Stevedog
Regular

Postby kendo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:29 pm

martyfireball wrote:i believe it's freefilter your talking about. Nice software - killer to run in realtime though!! I have used it to give me a better understanding of what's going on in my tracks, frequency wise, by comparing my sound to "real" CD's.

What he said! Steinbergs' FreeFilter was designed for this purpose and does a great job.. with it being 4ish years old there is probably a more recent app for this purpose, but I don't yet know of it.. MW? HTH, k.
kendo
That's the idea.

Postby shopthedownpop » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:45 pm

Steinberg Mastering Editin also has a plugin which does this.
shopthedownpop
Poster

Postby Strangeman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:25 pm

Har-Bal, I think, is the name you are looking for. It was reviewed in Jan/Feb of this year. It is an excellent tool, but it won't do the work for you (ie you still need to get your mix right first) but it takes an awful lot of the guesswork out of why your mix doesn't quite sound right in the first place.
Strangeman
New here

Postby stag » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:17 am

Steinberg Free Filter
Elemental Audio Fyrium.
stag
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:58 pm

Yes, I've reviewed Steinberg's Freefilter (this was bundled with later versions of their Mastering Edition suite Mr. E) and also Harbal. As Strangeman says, Harbal doesn't do the work for you, but you can get far better results by following their approach, and you do learn a lot about why your mix doesn't perhaps sound right, which should help you in every future mix you do. I like Harbal a lot, and you can read my review of it in SOS March 2004, plus details on the version 1.5 update in PC Notes July 2004. Here they are:

http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/mar04/a ... harbal.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/jul04/a ... cnotes.htm

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Doublehelix » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:05 pm

Has anybody tried TC's Assimilator for Powercore? (It was mentioned early on in this thread).

Paul reviewed it in April '03, and had some good things to say about it.
Doublehelix
Frequent Poster

Postby Scottdru » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:16 pm

Voxengo's CurveEQ also does this.
Scottdru
Frequent Poster
Scott --Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?