You are here

Software for live backing tracks

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Software for live backing tracks

Postby rborsey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi. Anybody know of some good (and preferably cheap or free) software for playing back wav files on a PC. I perform mostly as a duo with backing tracks.

Facilities needed :
- play a wav until it finishes then stop or be silent
- start/stop/go back to the beginning on a key press
- playlist or fast random access facility
- ability to enter into a cycle or loop in the song and then exit with a key press (for talking to the audience over a "vamp" à la Everybody Needs Somebody in The Blues Brothers

Currently using Cubase controlled through a midi pedal and Bome's Midi Translator but it is really a bit too unreliable and complex for live use. Needs something like OnstagePlayer but with the cycle/loop facility.

There must be something out there but I just don't seem to be able to find it . . . .
rborsey

Re: Software for live backing tracks

Postby JazzyPianoMan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 am

Multiplay - https://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/multiplay/index.php

Show Cue System - http://www.showcuesystems.com/

SCS is far more flexible for things like loops, but it's not free. You can do loops etc on Multiplay but they need a lot more prep... but it is free!

I use both for running theatre shows and they work really well.
JazzyPianoMan
New here

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:50 am

rborsey wrote:Hi. Anybody know of some good (and preferably cheap or free) software for playing back wav files on a PC. I perform mostly as a duo with backing tracks.

Ableton Live.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:47 pm

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:
rborsey wrote:Hi. Anybody know of some good (and preferably cheap or free) software for playing back wav files on a PC. I perform mostly as a duo with backing tracks.

Ableton Live.

This is not cheap or free
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:12 am

Hello,
I bought Ableton Live 9 Standard and it is very efficient in creating music. I use it for brainstorming, creating, composing, building, rising, and performing my songs. If you want to create drum beats, then it is very useful. :D