You are here

Replacement for Yamaha 01X

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Replacement for Yamaha 01X

Postby timyoung99 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi

I am looking to replace my Yamaha 01X with something similar in terms of multi-functionality - e.g. good quality audio/midi interface; control surface with motorised faders; optional stand alone mixer. Despite searching, I just can't see anything that does all this on the market now, so I am looking for suggestions - both for single items and combined all-in-ones.

Thanks
timyoung99
Poster

Re: Replacement for Yamaha 01X

Postby Mixedup » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:14 pm

What's your budget? The Yamaha 01V96i is due out shortly. There's the Presonus Studiolive range. The Mackie Onyx stuff, or A&H ZED R16 if you can live without flying faders. Focusrite/Audient Control 2802. A&H GSR24. Tascam DM3200 or 4800. Steer clear of the Phonic stuff though. If you need to go cheaper, there are plenty of mixers that give you multi input with stereo only playback, and some that give multi IO. Most don't have flying faders, though. There are also controller/interface products like the M-Audio Project Mix IO and Alesis Mastercontrol. But do you need the mixer? Behringer BCF2000 + laptop + audio interface (look at Focusrite, Presonus and RME as a decent starting point, though there are others worth a look) should do the job. Or there are some that you could control with an iPad or Android tablet... If anything lacks MIDI I/O you can add it for about £5-10 with a simple USB/MIDI adapter, so I wouldn't make that the deciding factor.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby timyoung99 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks for your suggestions - very useful. I just wish I could replace the O1X with a similar single solution - as, for me, it has worked out really well up till now. If only Yamaha had updated the drivers to Win 7 64 bit, then I wouldn't need to be looking for anything else at this stage. What have other 01X users done when upgrading to Win 7 64 bit?
timyoung99
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:10 pm

A very compehensive answer there from Mixedup.

I'll just add 'Welcome to the SOS Forums Tim'! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby timyoung99 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks Martin. Yes, a very useful list.

I really am set on motorised faders though (along with everything else in my orginal post) - is there anything else coming out in 2012 that might do the trick??
timyoung99
Poster

Postby OneWorld » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Mixedup wrote: Tascam DM3200 or 4800.

I am one of those clowns that bought the predecessor - the DM24 and now have a mixer with an LCD that is unreadable and I believe the DM3200 amd 4800 still have the same old rubbish LCD. This is really the Achilles Heal of these mixers as apart from the widely known LCD problem they mixers themselves work fine, acting as both remote controller and mixer.

But that's TASCAM for you, once they have had your money they CGAF
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:15 pm

timyoung99 wrote:Thanks for your suggestions - very useful. I just wish I could replace the O1X with a similar single solution - as, for me, it has worked out really well up till now. If only Yamaha had updated the drivers to Win 7 64 bit, then I wouldn't need to be looking for anything else at this stage. What have other 01X users done when upgrading to Win 7 64 bit?

there is the user forum you might check.....

http://www.01xray.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=7&Board=01X_Windows&Number=444829&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The 01X seemed a really good piece of kit, seems odd that Yamaha should drop it, and quite irritating that they seemed to have abandoned those existing users, an update to Win7/64 would please a lot of owners!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Mixedup wrote:What's your budget? The Yamaha 01V96i is due out shortly. There's the Presonus Studiolive range

+1 for the Presonus Studiolive, I use that in the studio as well as all of the live gigs that I do and it's absolutely brilliant. There are a few other SOS members with one of these, I'm sure they'll be around soon and confirm the same.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby jbap » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:09 am

Sorry I’ve came very late to the party. I too have an o1x, purchased it shortly after they were released. Where I differ is in the problem. Mine is still working 100% as I run it on an XP pc and I even have a spare if that goes pear shaped. However, the few restrictions there are on this mighty little mixer are ones that prevent me from progressing. Once the audio is in the box, it’s basically stuck there. I’ve loads of cool outboard eq’s and processors which I can’t use once I’ve tracked. I also find the same restriction applies to audio Sound plugins..you cannot bring them out to the real world to process them.
But “hybridness” Seems to have peaked at this desk. There is nothing that I can find out there that does as much as the o1x does, never mind the extra that I would really like. I would have to spend stupid money to achieve it, and considering this desk cost me £1200 that says a lot about how technological advanced this desk was.
Just to sum up what it has. It has 8 decent little mic pre’s a hi z input. It can concurrently mix 24 audio inputs 8 mic/line inputs, and an unlimited amount of midi inputs (all one there own fader..well sort of) for each of the audio and mic/line inputs (32) it has decent eq, and signal processing. 2 stereo aux’s and 2 mono aux’s. is a decent dedicated audio interface and has total DAW control of virtually every function (at least on Nuendo, as it’s the only one I use). It does only support 48k but that was all anything around supported at the time. It is so easy to operate a child could work it.
Anyway.. so my point is, I would like to grow from it without having to remortgage, but don’t think I can. But I’m really hoping someone is going to tell me I, talking a load of old sh*#e and that such and such does all this, but with the extra you are looking.
jbap

Postby resistorman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:09 am

Maybe you could just use it as a DAW controller for mix down along with a simple audio interface to integrate your outboard gear?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby jbap » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:32 am

I’m not sure how I would achieve that... o1x uses a proprietary transport protocol called mlan (think it’s gone like the desk now).. maybe you have a good idea, but I don’t understand what you mean.. can you draw diagrams on this forum? Lol
jbap