You are here

Martin Walker, just tried "your" controler

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Martin Walker, just tried "your" controler

Postby electrotimba » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:41 pm

When I saw the webpage I was sure it is trash , however playing them is a different story, very good and if compared to M audio- excellent. The look, hmmm is not that much better in reality, I will probably spray them and they will get wooden sides
electrotimba
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:48 pm

Bryan - thanks for printing that info! As I said - they look excellent value for money.

electrotimba - I take it you're considering making your own wooden sides then (it doesn't look like an official option any more). Judging by the remarks so far there will be a thriving trade in resprays :beamup:

Why do some manufacturers insist on such colourful paint jobs, when the vast majority of keyboard players really want something that looks as well as feels professional? :protest:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby electrotimba » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:56 pm

No I wont do it myself, the dealer told me that it shouldn`t be a problem for the Chinese it makes no difference in price really ( amazing !) so it might be available later for 20-30 Euro as replacement. I won`t wait and get mine right after Frankfurt Messe.
I guess our opinions will be counted, these people are flexible and the look can be "redesigned"- I don`t believe there was ANY designer even passing by the factory, they just "did they best" but hell, what really counts these things are highly playable, and that is not so easy to find.
Actually I liked the "negative" one but they said it won`t be for sell.
P.S. Martin, maybe these are professional colors in China?
electrotimba
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:32 pm

I suppose it might be available as a replacement later on, but your dealer may be misinformed - as Bryan (representing the UK distributors) will tell you, the only alternative that's been seen to date does have brown end cheeks, but this is a paint job, and looks even worse than the red ones. Mind you, given the level of interest, it shows what a gap in the market there was for an 88-key controller with aftertouch, if we're all prepared to buy them anyway and hope to change the colour scheme afterwards ;)

However, given most people's reactions in the UK to date, I suspect the Chinese manufacturer may eventually bow to pressure and change it - just think how many more they would sell in an all-black or all-silver livery!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby electrotimba » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:08 pm

Sorry, I meant distributor not dealer, actually seems that they have much to say, the tranport control buttons came from them and some other details. Finish and all the cosmetics are the easiest to change, that will be probably sorted out in Frankfurt, if not that they already got enough of input on the NAMM.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby Bubble » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi all

We are expecting the first samples within the next few days, as far as we know they are as you see in the pictures posted above, and are not aware of any plans to change the cosmetic look. I saw the photographs of the initial design and colours about 6 months ago, and then saw the final product in Los Angeles 2 weeks ago and it looks great in the 'flesh', so I'd say wait until you can see one, the build quality is amazing. And the red looks nice!

You know Martin really wanted the lime green cheeks but they refused...
Bubble
New here

Postby crofter » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:04 pm

Nowt wrong with red, I'll get one
crofter
Regular

Postby Scottdru » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:38 pm

electrotimba wrote:
P.S. Martin, maybe these are professional colors in China?
The colour red is often considered a very auspicious colour in Chinese culture.
Scottdru
Frequent Poster
Scott --Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:28 pm

Lime green? Eeeech! :shock:

You know, I am beginning to warm to those red cheeks (and no, that doesn't mean I'm into spanking :smirk:)

Bryan - I'll wait and see how I respond when I see them in the flesh (oh dear, I can see it's going to be one of those days :roll:)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Bubble » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:32 pm

Hi guys

I've just tried Martin's controller :) it's sitting right next to me. Tell you what, cosmetically it looks amazing: brush black aluminium finish and those cheeks are a metallic red, not too bright, very nice in fact, I could see your concern from the images posted earlier on. I'm not going to go on about the look and feel, but let's just say that of the other 4 controllers around my desk this one has by far got the best build quality, feel, features, and, believe it or not, price.

You were right electro, good call.
Bubble
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:25 pm

I bet you won't tell us those other four models will you Bryan? However, I suspect Arbiter must stock them, so that narrows it down a little ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Bubble » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:33 pm

Surprisingly not, Martin. One that we did use to distribute back in the day, the other 3 by other unnamed companies (not the one you're thinking about).

That's it, I'm buying one!

Info will appear at www.arbitermt.co.uk

By the way, the FireWire expansion will retail at £149.99 inc VAT.
Bubble
New here

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:20 pm

I've been testing out the CME UF6 and UF8 in my home studio over the last week or so with my Laptop (NuSystems Centrino 1.7/Compal CL-50 chassis) and i'm very impressed!

I have now put some infomation together for our website...

http://www.arbitermt.co.uk/redcheeks

Kevin Billett
Web Coordinator
Arbiter Music Technology

Postby Beelzebub » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:36 am

Thanks for the info Mr Billett, they look great and have all the features too. I can't wait to try one myself! Very useful info on the website.
Beelzebub
Poster

Postby olafmol » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:03 pm

how can these controllers be so cheap??????
olafmol
New here

PreviousNext