You are here

Who is going to Sounds Expo?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Who is going to Sounds Expo?

Postby RichardT » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:56 pm

I'll be coming all the way from N16
RichardT
New here
The big crunch is NOT a breakfast cereal

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:36 am

Wease - sorry those stains won't come out - try soaking the outfit in a bath of asses milk :beamup:

Chris - sorry to miss you. We'll try to postpone the show next year, as it's far too close to Musikmesse anyway ;)

Nik - I'll memorise your avatar and see if I recognise you :smirk:

In The Mix - sorry I'll miss your ponytail, but if you really wanted to show me it send a photo :roll:

Richard - a comparatively short journey, but we won't hold it against you ;)

Not long to the show now!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby the spud » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:24 pm

dear MW

just got the badge
my truncheon is quivering
ooooohhh the anticipation
the spud

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:45 pm

You do realise that offensive weapons have to be left with security at the door? I wouldn't wave your truncheon about anyway - it might go off :roll:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Compuphonic » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:47 am

I'll be setting out at 9am Wednesday morning for the start of my journey to Sounds Expo. Aberdeen hasn't been very sunny, so no regrets there.

I've just realised the only downside to my visit this year is that returning on Saturday I'll miss the closing bids on the Vemia auction...

:headbang:
Compuphonic
- "Computer games dont affect kids. If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running round in dark rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:43 am

I'm setting off at 3:30pm Wednesday (it's a 5-hour journey for me, and I need to be there at 10am on Thursday morning) so you won't see me on the forum again until next Monday.

Looking forward to seeing you all at Sounds Expo!

(:angel: don't forget to wear your anonymity headbags and avatar badges so I can recognise you :angel:)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Phunky » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:37 pm

Wish I could be there too. Sounds as if it's gonna be a real party. Everybody have fun. 8-)
Phunky
Regular
http://www.jesperbuhl.com

Postby Bossman » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:41 am

well.... I went yesterday ( thursday ). Not a bad show. The electrickery went off for a while in the middle of the day.. Only laptops where on.

And they were giving away soft drinks while the power was down cos the fridges were off :tongue:

I saw some wiked stuff on show....

I got some cool Allen & Heath slipmats. and lots of pens.
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby PWGLE » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:37 pm

I managed to make it to London today about 13.30ish so I had missed the seminars I had wanted to see... But it was interesting to try some products, and talk to some people...

Thanks to the guy on the Sound on Sound stand who gave me free issues of SOS :)

Didnt get round to talking to MW, I walked past but you where deep in convasation. Have to wait to next year to see polly! ;)

talk care, laurence
PWGLE
Regular

Postby Nik Keefe » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:30 pm

Thursday must be where it's at for freebies. I'll remember that for next year!!! All I got was an SOS pen and a Gearslutz one ... both from the Shure stand, where I just missed out on the neck things. But I got a DPA one ... almost as cool.

Good to say hello, Martin, even if both of us were knackered and voiceless at the time!!
Nik Keefe

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:28 pm

Thanks to all those who came up to say hello, and even to those who arrived with notebooks full of pre-prepared questions :crazy:

Bossman - that powercut was both a pain and a blessing. It was a pain because it went off 1 minute into the first SOS Q & A Seminar, and without mics and a PA no-one in the audience could hear us properly. Hugh, Paul and I improvised by wandering among the audience providing one-to-one support, which seemed to go down quite well.

However, lots of people on the various stands reported doing much better business with their visitors, because they could actually hear what each other were saying. We're hoping that next year there will be several 'quiet periods' throughout each day, as noise levels got way over the top (even in the quieter buffet areas they were often measured at 91dB - not good for ears long term, and we have this continuously for three days).

Laurence - sorry I missed you. Come again next year and wave polly at me so I notice you ;)

Nik - good to meet you, and you're right about the voice. So many people came up with questions that day that I ended up talking for about five hours with only a few fisherman's friends to keep me going ;)

Hope to see even more of you next year!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby RichardT » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:27 pm

Good point Martin, it was easier to talk to people. I also felt that with all the noise it was difficult to assess the quality of any sounds, which was one of my main reasons for being there. Perhaps they could be headphone-only periods...void(0)
:D

Also I was disappointed that NI didn't have a stand.

Otherwise it was good and everybody was helpful. People refrained from slagging off their competitors' products too.
RichardT
New here
The big crunch is NOT a breakfast cereal

Postby Bossman » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:21 am

wooohoooo :bouncy: :lol: :bouncy:

I won a competition.... they phoned me yesterday and sent me details in the post this morning... :bouncy:

I entered the "Sounds Good" (cd manufacturer) competition and I came first place.

My prize is 1000 pressed cds with artwork for free - i just have to provide them with a red-book audio cd and my artwork and they send me back 1000 cds :tongue:

I must enter more competitions next year
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:13 pm

Richard - hopefully noise levels should be down at next year's show, since all of the companies I spoke to were grumbling about them. Yamaha's Dutch demonstrator was one of the offenders, although he was definitely the most entertaining.

By the way, I've never known NI have a dedicated stand at a UK show, but their products are normally displayed on the stand of their UK distributors.

Bossman - congratulations! Hope you've got an album's worth of material close to completion.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby jalapeno » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:21 pm

Didn't see you, but you can pass on that Paul looks older and Hugh younger in the flesh ;) ?

I enjoyed your Yamaha neighbour's Motif keyboard demo :D
jalapeno
New here

PreviousNext