You are here

A Windows-equivalent for Hexler's TouchOSC

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: A Windows-equivalent for Hexler's TouchOSC

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:37 pm

As one who finds OO languages utterly baffling and syntactically irritating (I once knew enough to write a 'Hello World' in Java) I can say that programming in MD is FAR easier than delving into C, or any of it's variations!

To put this in context, I'm a BASIC/COBOL/Assembler kinda guy. ;)

So I can cut MD some slack. But my... it could do with a re-think.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Oh, it's not hard to create a sysex control in Lemur. The issues people were having was in creating full-fat sysex editors, capable of sending and receiving patch (bank) dumps etc.

Indeed ... which is where the use of Javascript is invaluable in Max of course.

Just found a couple of old development pics of my Lemur + Max editor for the Yamaha Motif XS:

These were relatively early in development, but sadly I hit the limitations of the Lemur and semi-lost interest in continuing. I did progress it further at the time, and ended up with an extensive Max application which had dozens of popup windows for editing various parameters, though not all of them ended up being 'live'.

One problem I did solve at the time was that of the huge amounts of SysEx flying around all over the place. This was mostly done using JS widgets, but also in the Max 'circuits' logic. It was certainly capable of querying the XS, getting a full system dump and initialising the application such that the patches and performances on the XS were synchronised.

Edits in the application were also synchronised in real-time with the XS itself.

The last image above shows the 'BulkQuery' window there, which is in the process of receiving the dump from the XS, parsing it and making the data in it available to the various other windows.

I still have all the Max project files and relate Javascript though, so if anyone wants it to build on/use as reference just let me know.

A project I would very much like to revisit at a future date, only next time I'd write it as a framework such that you could plug different profiles into it for different synths, and I'd use C/C++ and OpenGL instead of a rapid development system like Max, which would make it massively smaller in size and far easier to distribute and maintain.

The Elf wrote:As one who finds OO languages utterly baffling and syntactically irritating ...

I hear you, especially on the 'syntactically irrirating' front. Not a fan of OO programming myself, though sometimes I have to dip in against my will!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:10 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
I still have all the Max project files and relate Javascript though, so if anyone wants it to build on/use as reference just let me know.

Hmmm . . . sounds tempting Eddy! A very generous offer, if I may say so.

I have a couple of Yamaha hardware boxes I wouldn't mind being able to edit from the comfort of my screen. It'd mean having to learn javascript, but as that's something I've wanted to do for a while something like this could provide the incentive very nicely.

As it happens, I too reached the conclusion WRT to Lemur and its limitations as a basis for more complex applications - in that it's a superb app for building touchscreen GUIs but the heavy lifting is better done in something like Max (which I'm no expert in!). The last few years have seen some developments in working around Ableton Live sysex limitations too, so integration on that front (M4L) is doable now too.

Should I PM you about this, or do you want to post a link to Wetransfer or Dropbox or something?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:I still have all the Max project files and relate Javascript though, so if anyone wants it to build on/use as reference just let me know.
Should I PM you about this, or do you want to post a link to Wetransfer or Dropbox or something?

I'll post a link to it later today (might be after work). :thumbup:

For what it's worth I'd not really done that much in Javascript before either. I didn't use any 'fancy' OO shizzle with the JS, I just wrote it as if it was C translated into JS.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:03 am

Good stuff! :)

I'm as proficient in C as I am in JS, so the distinction between a straight C-style transposition versus using OO concepts would be lost on me anyway hahaha!

I've reverse-engineered the odd M4L device and I grok Lemur shiznits . . . I daresay with the help of some online resources I can maybe make a fist of it. Maybe.

Cheers Eddy.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:48 am

I've dug out the archive of the stuff I did. Looking through it there is some cruft in there which I need to clean up and I'll also add a README file to kick off from. I'll do this tomorrow (Tuesday) and post it sometime in the afternoon/early evening.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:08 am

Thanks Eddy, there's no rush on my end so whenever you get around to it is more than fine by me. :)

Not that I'm the only person who might benefit of course - it may form the basis for other dabblers to attempt connecting older gear in a more streamlined fashion.

It's a great pity that Mi . . . no, wait! /checks website . . .

Heh. was going to say it's a pity MIDI Quest wasn't available in plugin form but having checked the website it appears that it actually is - and supports OSC for developing Lemur GUIs. Mind you, all the niceties are reserved for the top-tier Pro version which is damned spendy for those of us with just a few supported devices.

Still, it's an option in the time+programming chops versus money equation.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:20 am

I've uploaded the whole thing (and more besides) and posted some details in a dedicated thread in the "Apps & Other Computers/OS" forum here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 91#p635791
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 am

Ah, object oriented programming. As someone who started out his working life on Fortran, then straightahead C followed by Ada, object oriented languages came a bit of a shock - got thrown in the deep end with Java and was utterly baffled. However, once the penny dropped, I never looked back and wouldn't be without it now. Still straightforward procedural languages for low level stuff though (not that I get to do any of that any more).

Right, old fart reminiscing over, as you were :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Previous