You are here

A Windows-equivalent for Hexler's TouchOSC

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: A Windows-equivalent for Hexler's TouchOSC

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:48 am

I've dug out the archive of the stuff I did. Looking through it there is some cruft in there which I need to clean up and I'll also add a README file to kick off from. I'll do this tomorrow (Tuesday) and post it sometime in the afternoon/early evening.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:08 am

Thanks Eddy, there's no rush on my end so whenever you get around to it is more than fine by me. :)

Not that I'm the only person who might benefit of course - it may form the basis for other dabblers to attempt connecting older gear in a more streamlined fashion.

It's a great pity that Mi . . . no, wait! /checks website . . .

Heh. was going to say it's a pity MIDI Quest wasn't available in plugin form but having checked the website it appears that it actually is - and supports OSC for developing Lemur GUIs. Mind you, all the niceties are reserved for the top-tier Pro version which is damned spendy for those of us with just a few supported devices.

Still, it's an option in the time+programming chops versus money equation.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:20 am

I've uploaded the whole thing (and more besides) and posted some details in a dedicated thread in the "Apps & Other Computers/OS" forum here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 91#p635791
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 am

Ah, object oriented programming. As someone who started out his working life on Fortran, then straightahead C followed by Ada, object oriented languages came a bit of a shock - got thrown in the deep end with Java and was utterly baffled. However, once the penny dropped, I never looked back and wouldn't be without it now. Still straightforward procedural languages for low level stuff though (not that I get to do any of that any more).

Right, old fart reminiscing over, as you were :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:14 pm

Reviving this just to inform anyone else that uses Lemur that some enterprising soul has trawled the binaries and discovered an undocumented feature of the Canvas object enabling image-file support.

https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/750/

Thus allowing people to construct the same sort of ugly skeuomorphic monstrosities as seen on similar apps.

Let the rejoicing / gnashing of teeth begin! :D
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:54 am

Good find!

I'm now focussing on becoming self-sufficient and writing my various ambitions in C/C++ as native plugins (one idea in particular I think has legs) but it's always good to see people delving into this kind of stuff :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 am

Thanks Eddy, wish I could take credit for it but I just happened to drop by their (what I thought was long defunct) forum and happened across it in a thread.

Some person going by the handle "Denoiser" is the one who discovered the function.

On the subject of your C/C++ endeavours . . . tell me it's a generic sysex editor for incredibly obtuse Yamaha workstation devices!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:05 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:On the subject of your C/C++ endeavours . . . tell me it's a generic sysex editor for incredibly obtuse Yamaha workstation devices!

It isn't, but it's not a million miles away from what I'm doing insofar as it's MIDI related. You've given me something to think about though, which is that if someone was to come up with a plugin that could really help with that kind of thing, regardless of the device in question, it could be a very cool project to work on.

Something that an end user can use those MIDI implentation charts and sysex specifications for the desired device to configure, and with the ability to load templates if someone else already did all or part of it for the device in question.

I like that, a lot. How it would work on the GUI level I've not even began to imagine. In fact that's the biggest challenge as I see it and it's a huge one, but I've filed it in my head to think about more once I've got some traction on my concept though I understand that doesn't help you in the short term.

I'm really liking the Juce docs. No promises whatsoever at this time but your suggestion is not lost on me at all.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:01 am

No worries Eddy, I'm actually in no great hurry to get stuck into the Yamaha workstation in question as I've quite a few other toys to keep me occupied. In fact, I bought that particular machine on somewhat of a mad whim - I may even put it up for sale. It will depend on if it brings much of its own texture to the arsenal I assembled over the last year.

I was very lucky in that I found a pretty decent sysex editor / controller for my FS1R, and like the stuff you were kind enough to make available to me, is a M4L device, and thus provides a useful reference point to me for your work should I ever get around to attempting a build myself. That's, of course, on top of its innate utility.

I agree that GUI / UX work is a much harder thing to develop than most would think at first glance. I found this out the hard way developing a GUI framework for Lemur. As in, I have the majority of the working code sitting on my HDD for years in an unfinished state but I ran out of mental steam and motivation to really turn it into a Lemur "app" - and never picked it back up again. Though I might have a go at completing it, just to be done with it! First I need to remember the trick to making the Lemur editor reentrant on Windows as that makes the task exponentially easier to accomplish.

I confess I've been tempted to install the Juce frameworks just to see what can be done there in terms of MIDI controllers, lacking hardcore coding chops, but I'm leary of getting sidetracked away from music production again onto another wild goose chase completely outside my wheelhouse.

Anyway cheers big fella, appreciate you taking the time to revisit this. :)
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:58 pm

The promotion of this thread has prompted to me to add a note to my comments about MIDI Designer Pro...

I have just added the Stream Byter plug-in to MD, and this has enabled me to parse bulk sys-ex dumps into individual control messages and vice-versa. It's a cracking addition to the capabilities of this software.

I now have an editor panel for my MKS-70 V4 that updates all of the on-screen controls from a patch change to reflect the currently selected Tones/Patch (like a motorized PG-800!).

Not much value to starting a new thread, so hope you don't mind the update.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:07 pm

The Elf wrote:I have just added the Stream Byter plug-in to MD, and this has enabled me to parse bulk sys-ex dumps into individual control messages and vice-versa.
Star Trek called, they want their script back! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:12 pm

blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:I have just added the Stream Byter plug-in to MD, and this has enabled me to parse bulk sys-ex dumps into individual control messages and vice-versa.
Star Trek called, they want their script back! :D
I never mentioned inverting the tacheon beam! Let's leave that for another time! :mrgreen:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Oooh, that does look bloody interesting - nice find there, The Elf.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm

robinv wrote:Yep - Emulator Pro by SmithsonMartin - http://www.smithsonmartin.com - it's a beautiful piece of software that keeps on getting better and better. I included a review of it in my multi-touch video - http://youtu.be/4G4jIpdTuhY

Do you have any experience of using the Elephant software and the MS Surface Dial? That seems a really handy solution. I can use the Dial on my Yamaha MOX in a similar fashion but having a dial right at my fingertips instead of keep reaching over to the MOX seems even more convenient. Bye bye mixing desk!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous