You are here

Gadzooks! Apple confirm move to Intel rumours.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Gadzooks! Apple confirm move to Intel rumours.

Postby jellyjim » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:44 pm

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/06/07/wwdc.html

My tiny brain can't quite process the implications of this yet, anyone ... ?

Jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Gadzooks! Apple confirm move to Intel rumours.

Postby jalapeno » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:48 pm

I predict another Windows vs OSX jihad :frown:
jalapeno
New here

Postby Rick Taylor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:57 pm

At least now I'll be able to get some use out of my mac copy of Avid. I guess that also means that Logic's coming back to pc and that Windows has some major competition aside from linux/UNIX.

Sounds great to me. Maybe it also means that OSX apps will run on linux and that I'll finally get my linux version of Xpress.

{And some of those bizarre Mac apps will run on my computer.}

{{And software companies will be able to stop wasting time building multiple version.}}

{{{...and everything will be crossplatform.}}}

{{{{...and that my resume's about to improve several fold.}}}}
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:57 pm

The result is likely to be an outcry from Mac owners, who won't be left with a leg to stand on in their 'Macs are better than PCs' arguments, because Macs will become expensive PCs, able to run Windows.

And then, at along last, many musicians will have to forget all the arguing and get on with making music.

Sounds wonderful to me :bouncy: 8-) :bouncy: 8-) :bouncy: 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Rick Taylor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:16 pm

Just think... all of the alt.advocacy.mac/pc/whatever groups will be pointless, no more pc/mac arguments in forums like this one, Mac users won't be able to play "holier than thou" anymore... This could change the entirety of text based communications on the 'net.
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby 3guk » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:31 pm

I think it sucks a bit really as, as someone has already said macs will just be more expensive pcs.

Does this also mean that osx will run on my winxp box ?? In which case its a good move for apple, it should really increase their marketshare and maybe even knock microsoft off the top spot.

Also apple users will loose the originality, apple used to pride its self on thinking different. It seems now all they want to do is think the same but better :frown:
3guk
New here

Postby BigAl » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:37 pm

QUOTE:"And then, at along last, many musicians will have to forget all the arguing and get on with making music."

Never had that problem myself. :bouncy:
;)
BigAl
Regular

Postby scumble » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:17 pm

Rick Taylor wrote:I guess that also means that Logic's coming back to pc and that Windows has some major competition aside from linux/UNIX.

Both of those things would be rather good, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of this actually happening so far.

Actually, if Apple do end up making machines that run XP, it may well have a positive influence on the PC market.
scumble
New here

Postby Olly » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:36 pm

You can be sure that Apple will do their best to make it near impossible for any of their hardware to boot into Windows and I'm sure that the Macs won't support just any old Intel processor.

Being realistic, I don't think there is a chance of Logic supporting Windows XP again.
Olly
Poster

Postby Laurent » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:01 pm

I think I've read somewhere that windows will be able to run on macs, but OSX won't be able to run on PCs. The fact that mac will use intel processors doesn't mean the processors will be the same. And the most frequent argument doesn't lie on proc (ok, sometimes it does) but on the stability of OSX. But now that OSX uses an unix shell...

Developers should convert their software for Linux, we might get good perfomances...
Laurent
New here

Postby PaulD » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:06 pm

Hi
Here's the quote:
"Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."
However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said."
http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the+switch%2C+aligns+with+Intel+-+page+2/2100-7341_3-5733756-2.html?tag=st.num
PaulD
Regular

Postby dubbmann » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:57 pm

Here's my two cents: this move is going to kill Apple as a hardware company. Why? History.

Those who are old enough to remember Margeret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan may also remember an early computer company called Osborne Computers. Osborne made one of the first portable PCs (this was *way* before laptops existed, when the PC industry called portables 'luggables' cause they weighed about 40 lbs - they called mini CRT monitors, for example).

Anyway, Osborne was on a roll in the early 80s. Businessmen bought their machines 'cause even at $3000 and 40 lbs they were the best on the market (when IBM introduced its own version, it weighed 60 lbs). Then Osborne did something stupid. Very stupid. They announced their next generation portable, which would use a 286 processor) well over a year before it would be available, even on the most optimistic schedule. THe result? Their customer base stopped buying the existing product and waited for the next generation/286 machine. Wouldn't you have? Unless you absolutely needed a new machine today, you'd have waited too. What was the consequence? Well, have any of you seen an Osborne computer anywhere? The company went out of business within two years as its revenue stream dried up and it burnt through all its cash.

Now look at the Apple announcement: Apple says it won't complete its product line migration until the end of 2007, ie it will still be selling PowerPC Macs until then. To whom? Would you buy a G5 from Apple next year? I wouldn't buy one today.

This has all the hallmarks of a Steve Jobs tantrum. JObs has a history of impulsive decisions, some of which turn out to be inspired (buy Pixar from George Lucas) while others have been disastrous (don't put a hard drive on the original Macs because Steve doesn't like the sound of the drive's fan). It's clear the IBM wasn't moving fast enough on doing a low-power/low-heat G5 and this probably really bothered Jobs on a personal level. After all, Jobs has been on a roll the last five years, and if you've followed the Pixar/Disney catfight, you'll know that Jobs is the one who won that battle - Disney CEO Michael Eisner tried to push Jobs around, and Jobs responded in a way that helped cost Eisner his job.

The problem is that there is no body at Apple who can gainsay a Steve Jobs decision. It's like the Monty Python skit where Graham Chapman (RIP) plays an imperious Texas tycoon, who fires people right and left whether they agree with him ('are you a yes-man? i hate yes-men!') or they disagree. So eventually Michael Palin, when his opinion is demanded, panics and says 'splunge'. The only difference is that Steve Jobs isn't stupid and won't take splunge for an answer. So everyone at Apple just looks at the floor, or out the window, or simply sucks up to him when he throws a wobbly.

I may be proven wrong on this - many Steve Jobs detractors have been over the years. But I predict that Apple in 2008 will be a software/multimedia company that sells a shrink-wrapped version of MacOS XXX and which makes most of its money off of Itunes and Ipods.

Cheers,

d
dubbmann
Frequent Poster
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/ http://www.phichibe.com

Postby PaulD » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:31 pm

Hi
Well Osborne didn't have $8Bn dollars in cash in the bank, nor a revenue stream as significant as the iTunes strand. And it was Compaq who stole the market with a 'better' portable, as I remember it. ;)

We'll just have to wait for all those 'many' new PPC products that Jobs promised us :)

(Yes I will buy a new PPC Mac to video-edit on, because I will need to remain competetive with HD video editing capability, and FCP on current or future PPC tower Macs will provide that).
PaulD
Regular

Postby Rick Taylor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:10 pm

Olly wrote:You can be sure that Apple will do their best to make it near impossible for any of their hardware to boot into Windows and I'm sure that the Macs won't support just any old Intel processor.

Why do it half way? linux and GNU have already written much of the code. You can already get a copy of GNU Darwin. http://www.gnu-darwin.org/ {It's down at the moment. {Check some of the links to Apple}} and a good bit of linux already runs on it.

Even if they were to open source it they could still sell a packaged version that most people would probably buy... they have enough applications {Final Cut, Logic, Garageband, Shake, etc, etc, etc...} that they could make a killing on a larger platform, they have Itunes, Ipods, whatever other personal computing stuff they have in the works... If they were to offer their hardware line with Intel processors and an upgrade path to loyal customers they'd probably keep a lot of their present customer base as well as adding some new folk, if they open source the os it will open up the linux crowd to their applications {tho' that will happen anyway.} in addition to the pc users that switch {osx is prettier than windows {It's not all that different from what current users are running in linux... it's a bit closer to HURD http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html though.}} etc...

Being realistic, I don't think there is a chance of Logic supporting Windows XP again.

I just wonder what will happen to Sonar.
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Rick Taylor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:20 pm

PaulD wrote:
(Yes I will buy a new PPC Mac to video-edit on, because I will need to remain competetive with HD video editing capability, and FCP on current or future PPC tower Macs will provide that).

Avid runs on both platforms and offers HD capabilities as well as hardware support and a much higher upgrade path.
Rick Taylor
Regular

Next