You are here

Gadzooks! Apple confirm move to Intel rumours.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Gadzooks! Apple confirm move to Intel rumours.

Postby Rowboffin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:47 pm

E D wrote:
Rowboffin wrote:Well, E D, seeing as only a month ago you were claiming that the next version of windows would be merely a copy of Tiger (without any facts to substantiate the claim, I might add) its quite gratifying to discover that the next generation of Macs are going to be merely a copy of the PC architecture.

Deliciously ironic, no?

You bitch! you got me there. :beamup: but I think you might be overstating the word "merely" in both counts. From what I know Intel are designing a new chip specific to Apple. And the move to Intel was more forced, than carried out out of choice, I believe. Plus If we are counting on technologies 'stolen' then I think you still have a fair bit to catch up on.

Well, you know what they say: a good idea is still a good idea even if it comes from someone else. Its nice to see Apple coming round to that way of thinking. :lol: Apple release a new (chargable) version of their OS every year so its hardly surprising that they reach the market first with some things...

AFAIK the Intel chip in question won't be specific to Apple. Its very unlikely that it would be given that Apple are distributing a development kit running a bog-standard 3.6GHz Pentium 4 to help developers port their code. What would be the point of that if the final chip was going to be something different? This really does seem to mark the end of Mac users being able to insist that their hardware is somehow special.

As far as "being forced" rather than "choosing" to go with Intel: a purely semantic distinction. Apple presumably chose the processor that suited their needs the best for solid business reasons not because they were forced to at gun-point.
Rowboffin
Poster

Postby Rick Taylor » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:54 pm

steveman wrote:Apple are very keen on their brand image, no way will you ever see an Apple ad campaign touting 'Intel Inside'.

I believe they've already done that. They're even getting press on PC forums.

Paul - I think you need a few extra monitors in there :)

Until I saw this I didn't really believe you were serious.

You let a 30,000.oo machine that's made to do graphics sit on the shelf while you used a mac?

...I still don't believe you're serious.
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Rick Taylor » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:57 pm

Don't ask.
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby *INACTIVE USER* » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:59 pm

Apple are very keen on their brand image, no way will you ever see an Apple ad campaign touting 'Intel Inside'.

Do you know how much Intel pays you if you do just that?
*INACTIVE USER*
Regular
Expert in non-working solutions

Postby milan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:38 pm

Havoc wrote:
Apple are very keen on their brand image, no way will you ever see an Apple ad campaign touting 'Intel Inside'.

Do you know how much Intel pays you if you do just that?

How much? I really need some cash right now... ;)
milan
New here

Postby Wossname » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:11 pm

IvanSC wrote:
Aha! Another Amiga freak! Still running Bars n Pipes Pro as the hub of my studio and nary a glitch after....HOW many years? Not sure I even remember how to reinstall the OS it has been so long on the hard drive with no probs. Tell me you can do that on a Mac - certainly cant on a PC.
It really would seem like a logical move to adopt Amiga OS but then when has the IT industry ever been logical?
Mind you at least we can pretty much guarantee whatever the new hardware is like we`ll get a version of AmigaOS to run on it! Now that`s what I call open platform - never mind open source!!

I've emailed a bit with Emile Tobenfeld (of Dr T's midi sequencer fame) and he put me in touch with the guy that portet KCS to amiga. At 1.6a it actually approached stable.

The dude didn't want to port it to Linux. Wonder why :-)
Wossname
Regular

* wossname * ...if .sig's were fish, this would stink *

Postby Rousseau » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:37 pm

@ED

hmmm luxuries - like what exactly? A one button mouse, a crap toy keyboard, no software choice, being fleeced yearly by a monopoly for so-called OS upgrades (bug fixes), no hardware upgrade path. Are you nuts? Who would want to pay more for that? Ah, yeah that myth about reliability and working straight out of the box. Bovine excrement.

In the world I work in - university and games development - the mac just doesn't figure; most of the ppl I work with who do video, graphics, film, sound design and music use PCs or platforms like Pyramix or SAdie. Only misguided academic types (I'm an academic but don't fall into the mistguided category :) ) use anally retentive software on macs like MAX MSP to make noises that you can do in 2 seconds with Absynth etc in order to justify their compositional 'process'.

The MAC is an endangered species IMO; itunes and ipod are keeping Apple bobbing above water and only becuase of some pretty filthy monopolist practices.
Rousseau
Regular

Previous