You are here

Gadzooks! Apple confirm move to Intel rumours.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Gadzooks! Apple confirm move to Intel rumours.

Postby Johnny Massacre » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:28 am

It was inevitable. Apple have been becoming shitter and shitter - there customer support more and more lacking - there personal touches more faint. They are turning into a monopoly and a faceless corporation. It only makes sense that they are taking one giant leap towards global domination, away from the very people which champion them and have helped them establish brand loyalty / identity.

This sucks. Bollox 2 'em all.
Johnny Massacre
Poster
DJ/Producer/Creative Entrepreneur

Postby Tímo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:46 am

I dunno, though, maybe a good few WIntel users may also migrate to an Intel based Mac?

Is MacOS more efficient than Windows?

Don't speak too soon! The wars have just begun! :bouncy:

Having them use the same hardware will just make them even more comparable. The real face-off will be the OS's.

This is good news!

Microshaft will have to mega-optimise their son-of-a-slug of an OS.

Maybe AmigaOS might just come back and metamorphosize into Intel form too, and sneak past both of them while they're not looking! :D

OK, maybe not the last point, but would still be nice.... :headbang:
Tímo
Regular
http://Infekted.org ~ Access Virus news & community

Postby Rick Taylor » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:35 am

Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby IvanSC » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:47 am

Aha! Another Amiga freak! Still running Bars n Pipes Pro as the hub of my studio and nary a glitch after....HOW many years? Not sure I even remember how to reinstall the OS it has been so long on the hard drive with no probs. Tell me you can do that on a Mac - certainly cant on a PC.
It really would seem like a logical move to adopt Amiga OS but then when has the IT industry ever been logical?
Mind you at least we can pretty much guarantee whatever the new hardware is like we`ll get a version of AmigaOS to run on it! Now that`s what I call open platform - never mind open source!!
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Postby Rick Taylor » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:03 am

IvanSC wrote:
Aha! Another Amiga freak!

:) Not really... I just read this http://www.osnews.com/ fairly frequently.
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Dishpan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:42 am

> s MacOS more efficient than Windows?

No

> HOW many years? Not sure I even remember how to reinstall the OS it has been so long on the hard drive with no probs. Tell me you can do that on a Mac - certainly cant on a PC.

Yes you can, I haven't reinstalled in years and get no crashes, the same as most of the users I work with.
Dishpan
Regular

Postby forumuser711922 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:52 am

forumuser711922

Postby jellyjim » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:13 am

Amiga? Commodore Amiga?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

thanks for that, haven't laughed so much in ages

jim

(a once virilent frequenter of comp.sys.atari.advocacy and comp.sys.amiga.advocacy)

viva atari /|\
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby jellyjim » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:21 am

mu5icmann wrote:An interesting read on the subject...

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/06/08/apple_osborne_effect/

yes it was interesting

on reflection i don't think it's that bigger news really, the whole pc/mac debate was always more about the OS and the pretty cases than the underlying architectures surely?

it will rile the mac faithful but i think it's just an emotional reaction because it's intel. Would the reaction have been so strong if it were AMD or another unknown chip manafacturer?

as for the osborne effect. Will it really be only an 18 month wait? if as some predict the first intel macs will be the budget models like the mac mini and laptops the high end models might still use the existing chips for a good while yet?

i think what's really clever is that increasingly apple are making their os less processor dependent. Perhaps the next switch might be to the Cell chip if it lives up to the hype and proves itself?

jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby BigAl » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:26 pm

When users start getting their studios and existing hardware to work in the new Intel Macs, I reckon SOS will need to start up a special "Stress & Suicidal" discussion thread. :bouncy:

There will be a lot of gloating going on amongst the non-PC music users. ;)

I can't wait. :beamup:
BigAl
Regular

Postby Rick Taylor » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:03 pm

BigAl wrote:There will be a lot of gloating going on amongst the non-PC music users. ;)

I can't wait. :beamup:

Apple comes to it's senses and ports it's UNIX system to a platform made of and by "the rest of us" which they've always purported to support but always considered themselves to be above. Now, macusers will be given the opportunity to run their bsd/linux/x/mach interface on the hardware that the rest of us have been using for years.

I agree this equates to a win for everyone involved.

Only macusers could see it as something to get prissy about.

{You remember in "Stir Crazy" when Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder strut into the jail common room saying "we bad ...yeah, we bad."?}
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Squarepeg » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:07 pm

Rick Taylor wrote:
I agree this equates to a win for everyone involved.

Only macusers could see it as something to get prissy about.

and they will get very little sympathy here. I have seen too much CPU nonsense spouted by Mac evangelists to be able avoid a certain smug satisfaction with the re-alignment now taking place in their mindset.

I look forward to their future evangelism of Intel processors :smirk:

The Mac is and will remain a first class platform for musicians and most Mac users are, of course, not part of the above group.

(sorry, had to let it out).
Squarepeg
Poster

Postby BigAl » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Are there any technical details on this yet?

Is the new MAC going to be a PC or is the architecture going to be different?

I thought I read somewhere that Intel were planning something new to get away from their ageing model.

If it's a PC, it'll be interesting as the reliability and capabilities of the OS will be able to be compared to Windows in a more direct way.
Although Windows is still cr*p in my opinion. It doesn't know what it is, it's not secure and is full of simple inconsistencies. :tongue:
BigAl
Regular

Postby PaulD » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:31 pm

BigAl wrote:Are there any technical details on this yet?

Hi
There are some details of the developer Macs which will go out to developers in a few days:
Quote:
"They are using a Pentium 4 660. This is a 3.6 GHz chip. It supports 64 bit extensions, but Apple does not support that *yet*. The 660 is a single core processor. However, the engineers said that this chip would not be used in a shipping product and that we need to look at Intel's roadmap for that time to see what Apple will ship.
It uses DDR-2 RAM at 533 MHz. SATA-2. It is using Intel GMA 900 integrated graphics and it supports Quartz Extreme. The Intel 900 doesn't compare favorably to any shipping card from ATi or nVidia. The Apple engineers says the dev kit will work with regular PC graphics cards, but that you need a driver. Apple does not write ANY graphics drivers. They just submit bug reports to ATi/nVidia. So, when we asked where to get drivers for better cards the engineers said "The ATI guys are here." He's right, they've been in the compatibility lab several times.
It has FireWire 400, but not 800. USB 2 as well. USB 2 booting is supported, FireWire booting is not. NetBoot works.
The machines do not have Open Firmware. They use a Phoenix BIOS. That's right, a Mac with a BIOS.
They won't tell us how to get in the BIOS. I'm sure we can figure it out when out dev kits arrive.
They run Windows fine. All the chipset is standard Intel stuff, so you can download drivers and run XP on the box."
www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/jun05/060805.html#S19340

Of course by the time they ship low-end/PowerBook Intel-Macs next year, and high-end G5 replacements up to a year later, Intel could have developed something quite different for Apple to ship.... ;)
http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050608.ars
PaulD
Regular

Postby lickthestar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:50 pm

I read on sweetwaters site that macs will run windows xp, but osx will not be made available for PC's. So this changes very little for PC users, other than giving them the incentive to buy the only platform that will run both operating systems. I predict that mac users will be effected not at all, and will still be snobs. That also means no Logic for PC.
lickthestar

PreviousNext