You are here

The audio device buffer underflowed. PRo Tools 10

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

The audio device buffer underflowed. PRo Tools 10

Postby roland342 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:00 pm

I am using Pro Tools 10 and keep getting this message: The audio device buffer underflowed. If this occurs frequently, try decreasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine Panel of remove other devices from the audio firewire bus. (-6085)
The only plug in I have installed is Ivory Syntholgy Virtual Piano 2 MIDI tracks and one track with one instrument. I even tried bypassing the Ivory Piano and I still get the same message.
I just completed a project with Pro Tools 9 and recorded an entire CD some songs had close to 30 tracks and I used the internal drive.
To try and alleviate the problem I have tried:
I purchased a Fire WIre 800/ 400 PCle Combo Host Card (Vantec) along with a external Drive (G Drive slim) 500 GB because I heard that I should have a dedicated hard drive for the system. That still didn't help. After I purchased this I heard that you shouldn't use a FireWire with Windows 7 so I tried unhooking it and using another external hard drive using USB (My Book) 1,000 GB. That didn't help either. Please help this is SO, SO Frustrating!

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Dell
Inspiron 580
Intel (R) Core (TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHZ
RAM: 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
64 Bit Operating System
roland342

Re: The audio device buffer underflowed. PRo Tools 10

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:41 pm

How many cores have you got assigned to Pro Tools in the playback engine? Normally dropping one (so windows can breath) can help with PT10 issues like this. It's automanged in PT11 but I think you can still tweak it manually in PT10.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio