You are here

who needs a guitarist these days?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

who needs a guitarist these days?

Postby BillyMidnight » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:18 pm

todays tip: go to musiclab.com, download the demo of real guitar (im certain this is the best vsti ever) then if u want to go 'Bob Dylan 1965' pop off to native-instruments.com and download the demo of the totally amazing guitar rig, plug real guitar into it, turn up to 11 and.. well get the kleenex out. i just LOVE computers.
BillyMidnight

Re: who needs a guitarist these days?

Postby jellyjim » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:57 pm

None of the demos convinced me, some of the solo work is laughable, but some of the strumming is pretty good to be fair.

Useful production tool but wouldn't negate the need for a human guitarist in most circumstamces. You could get the same results with a good sample library and some very careful programming.

I've been using Steinberg's Groove Agent because I'm in no way a drummer and the results are very good. Given the choice tho I'd get a human drummer to do the parts every time.

Jim.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Rick Taylor » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:25 pm

Someone's still got to stand on stage and look tough and mess around with the singer. What would a show be without a couple of guys onstage bouncing their heads up and down?

{Maybe you could get a few folk to dance around bobbing their heads and striking poses. I, somehow, doubt it would be the same.}
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Rousseau » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:16 pm

jellyjim wrote:None of the demos convinced me, some of the solo work is laughable, but some of the strumming is pretty good to be fair.

Useful production tool but wouldn't negate the need for a human guitarist in most circumstamces. You could get the same results with a good sample library and some very careful programming.

I've been using Steinberg's Groove Agent because I'm in no way a drummer and the results are very good. Given the choice tho I'd get a human drummer to do the parts every time.

Jim.

Same here, I use various VSTis for drums (BFD, Storm Drum, Stylus RMX) and some 'great' guitar samples; they're seriously convenient and you don't have to worry about miking them up etc. But nothing can replace the real deal - the feel, the range of articulations, the improvisatory input from another musician etc.
Rousseau
Regular

Postby neonknight » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:27 pm

BillyMidnight wrote:todays tip: go to musiclab.com, download the demo of real guitar (im certain this is the best vsti ever) then if u want to go 'Bob Dylan 1965' pop off to native-instruments.com and download the demo of the totally amazing guitar rig, plug real guitar into it, turn up to 11 and.. well get the kleenex out. i just LOVE computers.
you must be kidding? there is no way computer will ever replace a guitar player...the feeling is what will never be replaced...
neonknight
Poster

Postby Rob C » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:57 pm

Can you do Jimi's Star Spangled Banner and post it? Thanks. :roll:
Rob C
Regular

Postby Garry S » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:02 pm

If it can't end a four hour session knee deep in empty Fosters cans it won't feel like a guitarist to me :headbang:
Garry S

Postby Sarge » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:06 pm

You can't truley emulate/replicate a human playing, let alone the physics of it all.
Sarge
Poster

Postby RedRum » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:19 pm

or his 17 sec solo in purple haze for that matter...

dude, drop it, VSTs are nice for emulating pianos, synths, but complex instruments such as guitar and strings are very difficult to be emulated, because the "interface" of a guitar cannot be emulated by a midi-keyboard.
RedRum
New here

Postby Rick Taylor » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:08 pm

You could always do a midi guitar. Don't you wish Jimi was around to show folk what they could do with them?
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby BillyMidnight » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:23 pm

i *was* being a bit tongue in cheek...but for me theyre working wonders on my demos.
BillyMidnight

Postby Analyst » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:30 pm

BillyMidnight wrote:todays tip: go to musiclab.com, download the demo of real guitar (im certain this is the best vsti ever) then if u want to go 'Bob Dylan 1965' pop off to native-instruments.com and download the demo of the totally amazing guitar rig, plug real guitar into it, turn up to 11 and.. well get the kleenex out. i just LOVE computers.

todays tip: stay with the old real deal instead of the new vst bullshit, dont go to any website, dont download any demo, lets forgive this guy.

there is no way that computer can do the strings work and i dont belive it will be ever.
Analyst

Postby giles » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:50 pm

it's a non question really confusing synthesised sound with accoustic sound both different & complementary like many instrumental lineups. The boring bit is that the musical glory of our time (synthesised sound) has to be reduced to the banality of imitating an acoustic instrument. A very good example of the two working together is the work of Phill Durrant & John Butcher.
G
giles
Poster

Postby InCuReAbLe » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:14 pm

If we didn't have guitarists & drummers etc we would end up with a load of talantless parasitic dj's trying to make music on computers...oh [ ****** ] i forgot, that's what we already have!!! the people who are unable to play any instruments at all & are unable to read music but are making what they think is music from samples etc on a pc,,,you might have an ok ear for a beat but to make music!!!!.........look at the state of the current charts etc,,,,,,i rest my case.....
InCuReAbLe

Postby Wonks » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:50 pm

You could probably do a Coldplay album with VST guitars and get away with it.

There are loads of guitarist out there. All you need to do is find one who'll come and record for you and what guitarist's ego wouldn't get a boost from being asked?

There are also lots of real drummers out there who you could also ask to record for you. However, their night shift at McDonalds doesn't make it convenient to get them round to record during social hours so I'd stick with DFH. :beamup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Next